Friday, March 29, 2002

Good Friday

Wow! What do you say to commemorate the greatest event in the history of mankind? (I know... the Resurrection was really the greatest, but there would've been no Resurrection without there being a Crucifixion first.)

Our pastor's wife said something last Sunday that has really stuck with me. She said something that really bothers her in the story of the Crucifixion is not so much that Jesus died... after all, that's what He came to do, for our salvation... but how awfully rude the people were to him about it. Jeering and spitting on him and beating him and all that... That was not necessary! I've been told that dying on a cross is one of the most painful, excruciating deaths there is. Wasn't that enough? Why did the people have to be so mean to Him on top of that?

As I thought about this, I decided that probably the shadow of the Cross was weighing so heavily on Him at this point in time, that maybe the rudeness was just a minor nuisance... but I also find it comforting to know that He understands when people annoy us and are out-right rude to us. He has been there!

"Oh My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."

No comments: