Friday, September 16, 2005

I Don't Have Time

I am so tired of hearing that! Of course you have time. Everyone has the same 24 hours as everyone else. If you don't "have time" to do a particular thing it's because that thing is not as important to you as something else. It's all a matter of priority.

I was almost offended the other day when I was visiting with some older grandmothers at church. (By older, I mean that these ladies are old enough to have great-grandchildren, so are quite some time past their child-rearing years. That's why I was only almost offended!) We were discussing homeschooling, and one woman said, "I don't know how you have time to homeschool. I would have never been able to do it. I was just too busy with [all these other things]." The other grandmother agreed. "Yes, I was busy, too. I can't remember what all I was involved in, but I know I was busy all the time." I stood there thinking, "Of course you were busy! Everyone is busy! Especially mothers are busy!" I just smiled and said, "Yes. It is a challenge. But I think it's worthwhile." I wondered if they thought I didn't have a thing in the world to do so just chose to homeschool my children as sort of a hobby?

Speaking of busy-ness... I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the committments I have right now. School is taking longer than ever this year, but we also want to be involved in a homeschool co-op once a week. The girls are getting to the age where I think something like that would be an enriching part of their education, rather than just a fun diversion. I also have more than my share of responsibilities at church, due to lack of personnel (either that or everyone else is "too busy" to take on anything else). I think I wouldn't feel so very overwhelmed if I just had time to get better organized. But who has time for that?

No comments: