Tuesday, August 14, 2007

We're not in the Bible Belt...

We attended a lovely outdoor wedding this past Friday night. A lady my husband works with was getting married and invited our family to the wedding. The setting was gorgeous, and the decorations were just beautiful. I wish I had taken my camera. It was a "woodland" theme. The arch was made of rough branches overlaid with boughs of native greenery trimmed with streamers in earth tones and wildflowers. The bridesmaids' gowns were simple flowing gowns of dark brown... (I know, I had never seen dark brown bridesmaids' dresses before either, but they suited this wedding) ...the men wore khaki pants and dark sage green shirts, and the little flower girls had dark brown dresses with gauzy green fairy wings on their backs! So cute!

The whole wedding had an Irish theme to it, with flute music, a "handfasting" ceremony, and the "Old Irish Blessing". I don't know the bride well, and the groom not-at-all, but I assume this was something that was meaningful to them. It was very unique and interesting.

What was very sad to me, though, was there was not a single verse of scripture read, nor a prayer said (unless you count the "Old Irish Blessing"). I just didn't know what to think of that. Apparently those things are not important to the couple. Is this common these days? Or is it just the part of the country we live in?

2 comments:

Vader's Mom said...

That's strange to me. Most of the weddings we've been to have been church weddings, so I'm not a good gauge on the "norm".

Susanne said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that it's PARTY TIME over at my blog! Swing by and check it out!!!