Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cotton Yarn

I love to knit with cotton yarn! I started out knitting dishcloths with Peaches & Creme or Sugar & Cream yarn, and I loved how soft the 100% cotton fiber was. It was a good bit more expensive than acrylic yarn, though, so I only used it for dishcloths. But, then... a couple of winters ago, WalMart got in some one-pound cones of Peaches & Creme for $6.64, so I stocked up! (A 2-ounce ball is $1.39 or something.) I made a big batch of dishcloths and then got started knitting throws. The cotton yarn is great for that. It is soft and not as heavy as acrylic, just very snuggly. So I've been furiously knitting through my stock of lovely cotton yarn for the past 2 years.

I haven't been able to find the selection of colors that WalMart had winter-before-last again, although our WalMart still has white and ecru and about 4 other choices of variegated ombre colors. And my supply of yarn is getting down to several cones of ombre colors which I can't do much with if I don't have solids to coordinate with. I checked at Joann's and Michael's in Coeur d'Alene last week and neither of them have the Peaches & Creme on the cone. I had about decided I was going to have to either pay the price for the little bitty balls or find a place to order it.

Last night we were over in Spokane Valley so I asked my husband to stop at WalMart there. I checked their yarn aisle and found the balls, but no cones. None. Not even the few colors our WalMart has. *sigh* I kept circling through the craft department hoping I had overlooked them. I had just about given up when I spotted a bin back in an obscure corner! Yeah! And lots of solid colors, too. I was so excited. (I know... it doesn't take much to make me happy!) Now I have plenty of yarn to keep me busy making throws for months come.

Now that I've fully updated you on the yarn situation at my house, I have been wanting to participate in the Thursday Thirteen meme, so I decided to list 13 places where I've been know to knit! (And I'm going to fudge on the posting time so that my Thursday Thirteen post will appear below this post!)

No comments: