Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Feeling rather Eeyore-ish...


Typically, I'm not a pessimistic person... even though I often do enjoy spending time by myself. I don't consider myself a complainer. I hope others don't! And, to be truthful, I chose the answers on the quiz that I knew would come out to be Eeyore. (Then I went back and re-took the quiz, answering honestly, and came out to be Kanga! So, see? I'm not really an Eeyore!)

I was contemplating last night, though, whether I expect too much from those around me. Eeyore's a melancholy fella... mostly he seems to enjoy standing around feeling gloomy. He doesn't expect much from his friends and neighbors, but it seems to depress him. I think I need to have lower expectations... but I don't want to be depressed about it!

I find myself most frustrated when people disappoint me or don't live up to my expectations. Years ago I read Making Love Last Forever by Gary Smalley, and his advice is to lower your expectations and then you won't be disappointed. "The wider the gap between what we expect and the reality of what we experience, the greater the potential for discouragement and fatigue." Yep. Seems to be true. I know this... so why do I keep expecting things from people?

We live in a very selfish society. Most people are only willing to do and give and help when it's convenient for them. That bothers me, and I have tried to make a conscious effort to not be selfish. The hardest part about being unselfish, though, is not expecting recognition or anything in return. I find it easy to give and do for others if I know they will appreciate it or acknowledge my efforts. But that's not the point, is it?

Jesus said, "Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly."

Just something else to be working on, as I learn and grow.

Thanks for noticin' me!

Click on the graphic above if you'd like to take the 100 Acre Personality Quiz just for fun!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Karla!
I can't believe I found you after all these years! Your blog is so interesting - of course! Ever the one to have her nose buried in a book and knowing all the best authors - I should have known where I'd find you. Where's the pics of your family? I'm dying to find out where you've been and what's up.
Denise (Rossman) Truesdale

Dori said...

That Smalley fellow seems like a pretty smart guy! He sure gave me and my Gary some good pointers in our pre-marriage couseling. Like...sometimes love is a decison even when it doesn't feel like an emotion. I've had days that I'm glad I'm not just going on emotions. KWIM?

Dori said...

Oh, and I was Pooh!

Anonymous said...

As "Miz DeWitt said, we are just so luck to have you for our daughter." I agree! Dad