Sunday, October 14, 2007

Recipes for Fall

One of our favorite fall treats is the Harvest Blessing Mix made up of Bugles, pretzels, candy corn, Corn Nuts, raisins, m&m's, and peanuts. The Bugles look like miniature cornucopias. The pretzels represent arms folded in prayer. The candy corn and Corn Nuts remind us that the pilgrims supposedly only had 5 kernels of corn per person each day during that first hard winter. Raisins are dried fruit and remind us of a bountiful harvest. M&Ms stand for "many, many" blessings. The peanuts represent seeds which are a reminder of the potential of next year's harvest.

Some years we have made it up and divided it into little bags with gift tags explaining the significance of each ingredient, and then given them away to friends. Other years we just make up a big bowlful for a fun snack... great for family game time! Printable gift tags are available online (just Google "blessing mix") but I usually make up my own depending on what ingredients I include.

I also discovered a new-to-me recipe last week that I want to try, posted by Kathy at Highlights from Higher Ground. It is Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Gems. You mix a can of pumpkin with a cake mix and scoop dollops of the mixture into a miniature muffin tin, and then bake!

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

I love the Blessing Mix. I've never heard of a mix like that and I love the story that goes along with it. I'll have to make some now.