Saturday, January 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Denise!

Growing up in a parsonage we were naturally encouraged to support the foreign missionaries... and one way to show that support was to write letters. Now, I always enjoyed writing letters, so I was just thrilled when a new family with 4 little girls went to the mission field in Africa. The oldest daughter, Denise, was just my age, and I decided she would make a perfect missionary pen-pal for me. I had never met her, but that didn't matter. She was an MK (missionary kid) and I was a PK (preacher's kid). I was sure we would have a lot in common! My mother supplied the tissue-thin aerogram and I carefully wrote a letter in my neatest, smallest handwriting introducing myself. We were 10 or 12 years old, and that began a regular correspondence that lasted all through our teen years and into adulthood. It turned out that we did have a lot in common... and when their family came home on furlough we finally got to meet them. They were back in the States by the time I got married at age almost-20 and Denise was in my wedding. We continued to write back and forth occasionally for a few years after that... but gradually lost touch as we got busy with our husbands and young children.

Then... just this past fall, imagine my surprise to find a comment on my blog from my "long lost" pen pal! We have been able to keep in touch again on a regular basis through our blogs... and are catching up on all the years we were out-of-touch.

Today is Denise's birthday... (I remember because I'm just about 2 months older than she is!) ...so I wanted to take a minute to celebrate old friends!

Not that we're getting old or anything like that!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you, Karla, for the warm birthday wishes and sweet memories! You've been an awesome friend through the years and I love and appreciate you VERY much!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Your Friend,
Denise

Rachel said...

How sweet. Happy Birthday, Denise!

Joyce said...

Great story.....loved your site.
I will come back and visit again soon.
Be blessed!
Joyce

Jewlz said...

How nice! I wish I could keep penpals going like that!
Happy Birthday, Denise