Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday

It's cold here this week! As I write this (on Tuesday evening) it is 12 degrees. Brrrrr!!! Yes, we live way north--nearly to Canada--but being west of the Rockies it's actually rare for it to get this cold. Typical winters are in the mid-to-upper-30s in the daytime/20s at night. Not so bad. Since this is the first time it's gotten much below 20 all winter, I'm not going to complain. At least a lot of the snow we got last week melted before the temperature dropped. Not all of it, but a lot.

What does that have to do with Works-for-Me-Wednesday? Well, I wanted to share a simple "secret" I've discovered for a cozy bed. It's flannel sheets!! I know, that's kinda "Duh!" but I had never tried them before. I love crisp, finely-woven cotton sheets and piles of quilts personally, but my husband cannot stand to get into a cold bed. Finally, 2 or 3 years ago, we got an electric blanket. Ahhh... he loved that! But, for some reason, the blanket stopped working this winter. I just piled on more covers, but oh, he'd fuss when he had to get in between the cold sheets. I don't know if you've priced electric blankets lately, but they aren't cheap, and ours is new enough that I wasn't very motivated to go buy another one. Instead, we decided to give flannel sheets a try. I didn't think I would care for them much... I mean, fuzzy sheets? ..::wrinkling my nose::.. ...but I was willing to give it a try. We received a set for Christmas... (Thanks, Mother and Dad!) ...and they have worked out great! I can't say I love them... they are, after all, fuzzy sheets... but my husband no longer fusses about having to get into a cold bed, and, believe it or not, we ended up taking two blankets off the bed! They are that warm!

Tonight I'll probably end up putting one of the extra quilts back on... but for our normal winter temperatures, the sheets plus 2 quilts was enough. So... I'm getting used to them... and that works for me!

Visit Rocks in My Dryer for more Works-for-Me-Wednesday posts, or to add your own.

12 comments:

Sheila said...

I love my flannel sheets, too! I wish I'd discovered them when I lived in Canada.

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

I can't believe the price of electric blankets! I guess I need to buy some flannel sheets b/c I'm not paying $50 for a blanket. thanks for the idea!

Hope said...

Hi Karla,
It took me years to try the flannels too. My niece used them and thought they were great. I finally tried them and couldn't believe how wonderful they felt. When spring time came I still hadn't changed back to regular sheets and I was amazed that mine were actually cool in the warmer weather so I used them all summer. I had 2 sets and kept washing and changing them out They got so thin that my DH put his foot through one!!! Now I need to replace them!!

Thanks for the "baby love" comment! She is a beauty!!

Hugs,
Hope

Rachel said...

Here's to some warm and cozy!

Kimberlee said...

I understand your feelings on flannel sheets although we have resorted to them also!

Another option is to put a blanket in the dryer on high for a few minutes as you are getting ready for bed. Lay it over your bed a few minutes before you crawl in and it takes the intial shock of cold sheets away!

Phyllis Sommer said...

i love my flannels too...they do get pilly after a few years tho unless you've bought the super-xpensive ones....(or so they tell me...i only have the not so expensive ones therefore, pilly)

Kim said...

I live in Canada so yes we do own flannel sheets - they go on in the fall - and our electric blanket is dying too - had it about 6 yrs now - I think the wires inside get broken while you move around. I turned mine on last night about 3 hours before I went to bed - hoping to get into a nice toasty bed - it was warm but not toasty - time for a new one.

We have tried fleece sheets too but they pill too much.

Lora Lynn said...

You could also put rice in a sock or a pillowcase and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes. Then we toss it under the covers before we get in. The warmth spreads quickly up the flannel and it's a great foot-warmer.

Tiffany said...

My husband recently talked me into buying flannel sheets for the winter. I love them! I am always so cold when I go to bed and they help a lot! Another trick you can try is to put a blanket in the dryer for a few minutes until it gets warm. Then, put it on top of your sheet, but under another blanket. The layered effect holds the warmth in and makes you nice and toasty! Thanks for sharing!

Toots said...

We love flannel sheets also. I got a great deal in Restoration Hardward several years ago, and they are still beautiful!
We don't like the weight of quilts, so we have an alternative down comforter. We're both allergic to real down, but the AD works great! It's all we need with the flannels even when it's in the teens or lower. Enjoy your flannels!

Jeni said...

Okay, this is a weird question. Don't you get all tangled up in flannel sheets? I ask because I'm one of those perpetual-motion sleepers, and I can't wear flannel PJs or I'll end up with all the bedding wrapped around me. Don't flannel sheets have the same effect?

Toots said...

I'm one of those who wakes up in the same position I started, so I'm no good to answer that one.
I don't like flannel PJs though, for what it's worth, even though I love my flannel sheets.