Monday, February 18, 2008

Purity

We attended a lovely Valentine wedding on Saturday night. One of the young men from our former youth group got married. It was a sweet ceremony. There was one portion of the ceremony that I had never witnessed before. Before the pastor had the couple exchange vows he said he had a few remarks to make and then the bride would like to say something. The pastor talked about the couple's parents and grandparents who were all seated on the front row... and how they all represented solid marriages. There were 3 couples in the group who had been married over 50 years. He challenged the young couple to follow their parents' and grandparents' examples.

Then he asked the bride to share. She turned to the groom and began to pull a ring off her hand. She said, "When I was 13 years old I promised my daddy that I would keep myself pure for the man who would become my husband. And I have. So I want to give you this ring as a sign." And she put the purity ring her daddy had given her into her almost-husband's hand. The congregation broke into applause as the groom tucked it in his pocket and took her hand to exchange vows.

It's too bad that such a thing is no longer taken for granted... but I thought it was a special way to honor a commitment to purity.

8 comments:

Penless Thoughts said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment I alway enjoy "meeting" someone new. Thanks for sharing this lovely exchange. I am aware of those rings and think that is such an awesome idea in todays society.
Susan

Sarah said...

That's so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that story.

Sarah x

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, So neat! I've never heard of finalizing the wearing of a Purity ring like that. What an awesome thought! have a fun day. xo Rachel

Jewelgirl said...

What a lovely wonderful wedding
ceremony. Today it is so hard for
my daughter, almost all of her friends' birth parents are divorced or remarried again.
My husband and I are a rarity married 15+ years. It is a confusing world for young people.
Glad to see there is hope!

Farrah said...

What a lovely Wedding! Though it's sad things like this are rare, that makes it all the more beautiful.

Jewlz said...

Wow! That is such an awesome story! I have a purity ring as well, and I've dreamed about doing that exact same thing! It's really nice to know I'm not the only one.

Joyce said...

Sounds like a lovely wedding indeed. Love the purity things....we bought our daughter a "white sapphire" white gold ring it was emerald shape and looks like a diamond......just a foggy one.....not really as blingy as diamond. We have friends that own a fab jewelry store that gave us a wonderful deal. This was to give her the reminder of what the real thing will look like one day :~)
Be blessed,
Joyce

marygrace :-) said...

That made me cry!!!