Sunday, December 14, 2008

Anticipating Christmas

This year as I've watched the Christmas lights and decorations go up all over town, and as I make my own preparations for Christmas, I've been thinking about the special anticipation each December brings. The little children, especially, get so excited for Christmas to come! The festive decorations and music everywhere you go just adds to the expectancy.

I wonder what the expectancy was like that First Christmas? How many people were anticipating the Christ Child? He was the long-awaited Messiah, but many people didn't recognize Him when He came. I wonder if they were too wrapped up just in the busyness of their ordinary daily lives to realize that He had come?

Are we anticipating His Second Coming like a little child anticipates Christmas?

His mercy is on those who fear Him
From generation to generation.
Luke 1:50

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the reminder. :-) I've been getting caught up in that stressful Christmas gift thing... not heavily but just enough to make me feel like Christmas isn't fun anymore. I KNOW what the point of Christmas is, though! I don't know how I get so distracted.

Who knows? Maybe God will come at Christmastime, when people are crazy and focused on other things.

I really, really want to me more God-focused - at all times of the year!

Named Alicia said...

Beautiful post my friend! Sometimes it is difficult in the midst of the hubbub to slow down and focus on what is really important. Thank you for the prompting to do so.

Take care!
I hope you have a great week my friend!

TattingChic said...

What a lovely post, Karla! :)

e-Mom said...

Are we anticipating His Second Coming like a little child anticipates Christmas? What an excellent question!

Something to ponder this evening. Thanks! :~D

pse said...

Great thoughts. We must remember to be ready for HIS return.

Beautiful picture too!

MuseSwings said...

Beautiful post! What a beautiful little baby Jesus!