Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Tale of Two Christmas Trees

We put up two Christmas trees in our home this year! I've heard of people doing that, but this is a first for me. I don't know if we'll ever do it again... or if it will become a new tradition! I guess we'll see.
One Saturday morning this past summer my husband and I decided to go to some garage sales in a really exclusive neighborhood in our town. One garage sale we stopped at didn't have a lot of merchandise for sale, but the people were very friendly--an older couple. I bought some nice throw pillows that they told us had come out of their new motor-home. They had it remodeled right after they bought it, and these throw pillows just didn't "go"! They also had two Christmas trees in boxes for sale for $20 each. The man wondered if we needed a Christmas tree. He would sell us one for $10! No, we really didn't need one. We had just bought an artificial tree a year or two ago, so we weren't in the market for another one.After we got back in the car Lyle said to me, "You know, our 6-foot Christmas tree is going to look pretty short with the vaulted ceiling in our new house." I hadn't thought of that. The Christmas trees at the garage sale were 7 and 9 feet tall, so I told Lyle to go back and we would buy one of them. I can't remember which one I told him to get, but he came back with both of them! He said the man told him to just go ahead take them both for $10!!We stowed them away in the rafters of the garage. We sure didn't need three trees, but we decided to hang on to them all for the time being, until we decided which one we liked best.

When it came time to decorate for Christmas, Lyle pulled the two "new" trees down out of the garage and we opened the boxes. I noticed that the 9 foot tree said "slender" on the box. I told Lyle that if it was slender enough I thought it would be neat to put it in the entry way, and we could put the 7 foot tree in the living room. As we began to assemble the taller tree, we decided that yes, that would work.Then we opened the box of the shorter tree. I was startled to discover it was plastic! I don't mean nylon... I mean plastic, like the old plastic artificial flowers people used to decorate with in the 1960s! Plastic-plastic! Can you see the shiny plastic-ness of it? We wondered if the tree was that old. If so, it was probably an expensive tree in it's day. Not only that, every branch had to be individually stuck into the trunk. I wasn't going to use it, but the kids wanted to put it together, so we let them. It is a nice full tree, and looks pretty good, except it's not really sturdy. The branch tend to sag with the weight of the ornaments (just like a live tree!) and the trunk wants to lean. I expect we won't try to use it again... but for this year it gets to be our living room tree! (We left the 6-foot tree in its box in the garage this year.)

7 comments:

TattingChic said...

What a funny story! Still, not bad for 10 buckaroos! What are you going to do with all your trees now? Hey, Maybe you could have a garage sale!!! ;)

A Romantic Porch said...

I think both of the trees look absolutely adorable. Good for you. I've never seen a plastic tree, but I think it is cute!

Reynie said...

I think they both look great! and how affordable!

Melissa Wertz said...

LOL! We had an old plastic tree growing up. When I married DH, he had one. Had it for years. I got rid of it. But while live trees give me rashes, they make him sick. So I had to go find another tree. We have used it for 15 years. It takes up 1/4 of the great room. Huge. I found a 7 foot skinny tree at the thrift store the other day. Brought it home. We put it up. DH did not say anything. We are all enjoying the floor space and I only gave 12 bucks for it. It was a pricey tree!

I have another one for a photo prop and two tiny ones. They sit on the fridge, guest b/r table, etc. But I like my thrift store tree and it does not have those pre strung lights. :D

You tree is a classic. ;-)

e-Mom said...

How fun! I love the garland on the really tall one. So festive. :~D

Melissa Wertz said...

Karla, stop by my blog when you get a chance, I have something for you.

A Romantic Porch said...

Did you get my email?