Sunday, February 8, 2009

Inhabiting the Moment

Wintertime is rough. For me it's not so much the cold and snow as it is the darkness. The hours of daylight seem so short through the winter, and even during the day the light is usually muted with overcast or foggy skies. That just gets depressing after awhile.

It's not just the short days and the cold, damp weather that get to me either. It's a well-known fact that February is the hardest month of all for homeschoolers. We're past the holidays and the semester break and it seems forever until summer break. Enthusiasm is waning and that school bus going down the street looks awfully tempting.

Any way you look at it, it's just not a very cheerful time of the year.

In spite of all of that, I've been trying to be aware that every day is a precious gift from God. Just because the sun isn't shining and I'm feeling a little burned out is no reason to crawl in a hole and wait for spring! Oh, yes, there are times when I think I'd like nothing more than that. But the truth is, I really don't want to fritter my life away wishing for tomorrow.

I want to inhabit this moment and make it into a memory to treasure if I can. I have been trying to make a conscious effort to not complain about the weather or the darkness or the mundaneness of school lessons, but rather look for the little things that make this day like no other.
We have this moment to hold in our hands,
And to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand;
Yesterday's gone, and tomorrow may never come,
But we have this moment today.

5 comments:

TattingChic said...

What a lovely attitude! I needed to read that just now. Thank you. :)

Dori said...

What a great reminder! I so often wish the day away waiting for the kids bed time so I can have a few minutes of quiet!

e-Mom said...

I forgot you were a homeschooler... keep up the wonderful work Mom. :~D

I keep all the lights on in winter, and try to remember that Jesus is the true Light of my life. :~D

pse said...

And this too shall pass! Tomorrow more rapidly than today.

Emily said...

OH! I love your post! It's so true though! As February comes, I start to get anxious for Spring!