Monday, March 16, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...

Outside my window... It is just now getting light. In June it will be bright daylight by 4:30a.m. but right now it's barely dawn by 7:00a.m.

I am thinking... about the new Sonlight catalog that will be arriving soon! I have a wish list started of things I need for my booth (and my own homeschool).

From the learning rooms... We are trying out a new spelling program on the computer called SpellQuizzer. Watch for my review at Roads to Learning, coming soon.

I am thankful... that my daughter's first visit to the orthodontist went well on Friday. She now has braces on her top teeth, and so far seems to be handling it better than I thought she might. I'm also thankful that it's a gradual process, to allow her to get used to them just on the top before her whole mouth is full of metal!

From the kitchen... my second batch of sour dough bread is raising. I'm going to let it raise a little longer than I did last week and see if it will be a little lighter.

I am wearing... a denim wrap-around skirt with a short-sleeved khaki-colored sweater... and my red fleece slippers! Cute, huh?

I am reading... Apologetics for a New Generation by Sean McDowell

I am hoping... to not have to serve on the jury this week. I'm "on call" and didn't have to go today, but I have to call again tonight to see if they need me tomorrow. I really don't mind doing my "duty" but quite honestly, I can't exactly afford to donate my time!

I am creating... I've starting quilting the Irish Chain quilt top my mother made for me. Watch for pictures tomorrow!

I am hearing... the furnace and the computer running. My "I am hearing" report will be more interesting when it gets warm enough to open the windows!

Around the house... It's time for some spring cleaning! It's been exactly a year since we moved into our house!

One of my favorite things... enjoying the outdoors when the weather warms up. It was in the single digits several days last week, so I am basking in the 40 degree temps we've had the last couple of days. Looking forward to gradually warmer temps for spring!

A few plans for the rest of the week... my calendar is open because of jury duty. If I don't have to go, I'll be able to maintain my normal work routine.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...
My Christmas Cactus blooms in November and March. I haven't had the heart to tell it that it's only meant to bloom in December! I guess that really makes it a Thanksgiving and Easter cactus.

Hope you have a great week!

8 comments:

Emily said...

That photo is beautiful! I always enjoy reading others daybooks. Have a beautiful and blessed week ahead!

pse said...

At least your cactus blooms. The one I inherited has not bloomed in the sixteen and half years that I've been responsible for it. It grows a little sometimes.

Enjoy your day.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

let's hope they don't call you, July duty can be a pain...I've been twice, will do my duty but rather not. Love the pink rosy bloom. Hope you have all the free time you need this week. I love to make sour dough bread, I used my batch this week to make rolls and put in freezer. They are fine.

Janeen said...

Cute post of all the listings! Jury duty isn't so bad, I've done the trial thing before and finally got to experience it.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my Beauty Treatment post. :) Others have been asking so I'll share with you that I did get my face shield at Sally's Beauty Supply store here in town, they are a chain so you can probably find one near you too. I remember it being inexpensive at the time too, like $8 or something. Saves my face from more acne than I need at 40 years old - geeesh, when is it going to stop! ha ha

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

What a beautiful picture! I just read a devotional about somebody else's Christmas Cactus that bloomed in March. Maybe it should be renamed :o)

Take care my friend!
I hope you have a great week!

And those red slippers sound comfy!

Mary said...

Enjoyed your post. I'm also starting some spring cleaning. Your Christmas cactus is very pretty.

Blessings for a great week.
Mary

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Hi Karla,
Your cactus is lovely. Spring cleaning is beckoning me too. Have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Mrs. C said...

Hope you don't have to do Jury Duty this week.

Beautiful cactus picture! Thanks for sharing.