Monday, June 29, 2009

Summer Days

Even though my work doesn't slow down for the summer, I am trying to make a conscious effort to enjoy the beautiful weather we're having and the change in our normal routine.

Outside my window… warm sunshine and cool breezes. We truly are having perfect summer weather!

I am thinking… of all the "little jobs" I need to do today. My Grandmother used to call her daily chores "little jobs." She had a knack for recruiting the grandchildren to help with the little jobs by making them sound so fun!

I am thankful for… the glorious weather. I can't remember when we've had such a long stretch of not-too-hot/not-too-cold days.

From the learning rooms… we aren't doing much "real" school work now that it's summer, but I am encouraging the girls to read some every day. R is also enjoying working on a lapbook to go with The Long Ride Home. L is learning to play the guitar.

From the kitchen… southern-style sweet iced tea, except I go light on the sugar!

I am creating… some little crocheted accessories-- cell phone cases, coffee sleeves, etc. --embellished with crocheted flowers. Right now I'm just playing around, but if I get a stock built up I'm thinking of opening an Etsy shop.

I am going… to family camp in the mountains this weekend!

I am reading…Through the Fire by Shawn Grady.

I am hoping… that my 89-year-old MawMaw gets better soon. She's been pretty sick this past week.

I am hearing… leaves rustling in the breeze.

Around the house… making sure laundry is done and the trailer is stocked for camp this weekend.

One of my favorite things… planning for the upcoming school year. For some reason, I think that's the most fun part of homeschooling!

A few plans for the rest of the week: After we drop the trailer off at camp on Thursday, I get to ride with my husband on some business errands that afternoon before we go back to camp. The nice thing is, the girls can stay at camp while we're gone because my brother's family will be there, too, in case they need anything!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing:Sunset in our backyard! The picture doesn't do it justice, but the clouds were edged with pink. Just breathtaking!

Grandmother Wren is hosting The Simple Woman's Daybook this summer while Peggy takes a vacation.

5 comments:

Jerralea said...

What a beautiful sunset picture!

Sounds like you have a good week planned!

We love sweet tea at my house -- I probably need to go light on the sugar as well ....

Nancy M. said...

It's sounds wonderful where you are! It is so hot here, I don't want to do anything.

Gorgeous picture!

Bonita said...

I like your grandmother's words for chores. Unfortunately, looking at my house right now I'd have to say my little jobs are more like "great big gynormous jobs". lol

Mrs. C said...

Enjoy your camping trip!

Country Veers said...

I just read this post and I think that would so fun if you opened an etsy shop! I was just thinking that you should since you are so good at crafts. I found a shop with really cute crochet patterns for play food and little doll sets and things. I thought about seeing if you would make some for Lillie!