Thursday, November 12, 2009

My A B C (vintage picture book)

Today, boys and girls, we are going to learn the alphabet. There will be a quiz, so pay attention, please!

This darling vintage picture book was among some other old books that were given to me this summer. The cover is missing and there is not a copyright date on it, but the title page lists the author as Dorothy Hope Smith. With a little sleuthing online I found another edition of the same book that says it was published in 1927.

I love the vintage pictures with the bright primary colors. Total eye candy! But the thing that fascinates me most about this little book are the names! Naming trends intrigue me. Apparently these were popular children's names in the 1920s. A lot of them remind you of "old people" names, don't they? And, of course, that would be because the children of the 1920s are senior citizens today. I did a little more research and discovered that at least half of these names were on the top 100 names list for the 1920s!






Apparently they couldn't come up with a good verb that started with G to continue the alliteration. Let's see... how 'bout, "Gertrude and Gerald gaze at the Globe"? Well, okay, it's not quite as good a verb as "study" but still...
Those yellow pumpkins worry me! Helen's dress is orange, but the pumpkins are yellow.

I never met a dog named Judy before, did you?



This page layout is just a little strange. For some reason N and O don't get their own pages, so we having yawning Ned with his candle hovering over the ocean!


Awww... I love the old timey radio. So neat!


Ulrich, huh? Can't say I've ever met anyone named Ulrich.
Can we assume that a velocipede is a tricycle?
No, we cannot!
A tricycle is a velocipede, but not all velocipedes are tricycles.
Betcha didn't know that, didja? Or maybe you're smarter than me!

And you just thought taking Christ out of Christmas was a new thing!
Actually, the word "Xmas" does not take Christ out of Christmas.
(You can read up on it here.)
Don't know anyone named Yorick either.
Now we know our ABCs... and it's time for the quiz! Just two questions:
  1. What's your favorite picture in this little book? (Mine's the letter R for radio!)
  2. Which names have you never heard before?
Be sure to visit Coloradolady for a list of other posts for Vintage Thingy Thursday.

16 comments:

Coloradolady said...

So glad you are back...I can hardly keep up with one blog, much less three....I can see how you have been busy!

I love the C page...so sweet and I don't think I have ever heard of a UNA name....at least I can not remember...

Have a great VTT!

Maureen said...

I love this! Great homework on your part.

P.S. I like "U".

Postcardy said...

I'm glad you showed the whole alphabet. My favorite is the "P" page.

marian said...

What a delightful post!! I LOVE it..it's my fav by far!!!..do i have to choose a letter??..they're all adorable..let's see i love my old dollies so i'll choose D..btw lots of those sweet old names are making a comeback, i work with a young girl who's just had a baby boy and named him Arthur..and it suits him too LOL!!

Lisa said...

Very cool! Don't you love the faces on the children in old books!?

~~Carol~~ said...

What's a quoit? I like the P for picnic one the best. How sweet!
And thanks for the lesson on Xmas. I just bought a vintage stocking, and when I saw that it said Xmas on it, I thought I had bought a fake. Now I know better! And I think I've heard of all of those names, and you are right, so old-fashioned but wonderful. I would love to have that book!
Happy VTT!
Carol

April said...

I love the F page. "Frank fishing for flounders"
Such a timeless pastime!

Thanks for sharing this!

Arby said...

I like the picture of Jean jumping rope. I've never heard of "Ulrich" used as a given name, only as a surname.

The Watts Family said...

Loved the Y page ~wonderful book what a nice little treasure, you'll have to let me know what kind of camera you have your pictures are great and mine is being held together with duct tape lol! and I need to get a new one. Thanks for Sharing ~Blessings Heather

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh these do so remind me of the books we learned to read with!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I'm a schoolteacher and I find that the rate at which names are changing has really accelerated in the last decade. And something else that is different from when I was growing up in the 1950s is that people can get pretty creative with the spelling! A last change - and I think it's great - is that people preserve their ethnic names more (at least here in Quebec).
Evelyn in montreal

concretenprimroses said...

what an adorable book. I enjoyed looking at it so much. None of the names were new to me, I guess that dates me, lol.
Kathy

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Such very cute pictures! I love old books.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

pse said...

What a cute book. I like the S page. I never had heard of the name Yorick.

Manang Kim said...

Very colorful ABC kids book. And it was published in the 1920's that is a big thing to keep.

Mine is here My Life’s Photo

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

I think I like the R.. picnic my fave! hehehe.. thanks for sharing this book.. have a good weekend