Thursday, November 19, 2009

No-Sugar Apple Butter

Last week I realized that I needed to do something with the apples we still had left from our apple-picking excursion earlier in the fall. I came across this recipe for No-Sugar Apple Butter and decided to try it.
Of course, I had to make some modifications. (I can't seem ever follow a recipe exactly.) I left out the apple peel and the cloves... and after getting the apple mixture good and hot on the stove top I transferred it to my Crockpot set on High. I have an oval shaped Crockpot so I just put the lid on sideways so that steam could escape as the apples cooked down. Usually you don't want the steam escaping, but in this case I wanted a nice thick apple butter so I wanted a lot of the liquid to cook out of it. It took most of the day to cook down to the consistency I wanted, then I just spooned it into hot jelly jars and tightened lids on them to seal.

It turned out to be absolutely delicious! It really doesn't need sugar (or any extra sweetening) at all!

Visit Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for more Slow Cooking Thursday recipes.

6 comments:

SnoWhite said...

that apple butter looks fantastic!

Renee said...

This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa Wertz said...

I love apple butter and need it to be sugar free. Thanks for postinhg. Your apple butter looks like it turned out great!

pse said...

It looks good and I know it taste better.

The Watts Family said...

Wow that looks wonderful! ~Enjoy ~Blessings Heather

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Oooh - I might have to try this. So glad I stumbled upon this recipe!