Monday, November 30, 2009

Professor in a Box - review

When it comes to favorite school subjects, math is not "it" for me! In fact, it's pretty close to the bottom of the list... with only P.E. below it!

But the one math class I ever took that I actually enjoyed... in fact, the only college-level math class I ever took... was Accounting. Years ago, before kids, I worked in banking. I really wanted to go back to college, but didn't want to take out a college loan. However, the bank was willing to pay for bank-related courses, so I signed up for Accounting.

I had struggled through Algebra 1 and 2 in high school, but actually enjoyed Geometry, because Geometry made sense to me. It was logical. Accounting was the same way. Very logical and straight forward. Not only that, it's much more practical for every day use than Algebra is. I surprised myself and aced the course.

I recently had the opportunity to review Financial Accounting from Professor In A Box for the TOS Homeschool Crew, and I am pretty impressed. It is a college level course, but I am seriously considering having my daughter go through the course for her senior year of high school.

The entire course comes in a software box. It includes 3 CDs, a calculator, and even a pencil! (The pencil made me laugh. I guess it's just in case you don't already have one!) It's a non-traditional format with an audio lecture accompanied by Flash lecture slides for each lesson. There are also printable "homework" problems for each lesson.

I found the presentation style a little on the dry side (i.e. not particularly entertaining) but having the combination of the visual and audio will be a good approach for my daughter who is more of an auditory learner.

This course can be completed in one or two semesters. There are 28 lessons. The average time per lesson is 75 minutes to view the Flash lecture plus 1.5 to 2.5 hours to work the homework problems.

The regular price for this course is $149 with free shipping, but the website shows a "summer special" of $134.99. Since it's not still summer, I'm not sure how long the special price will last.

4 comments:

Arby said...

I'm thinkin' that if the professor is in the box then someone should let him out.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Sounds like a great course. Finding good homeschooling courses can be so daunting! Thanks for the review.

Sonya

Amydeanne said...

funny, I felt the same way about math until I took my stat's class in university! lol. I'm just starting to look at HS material for my kiddos for the fall

Nancy M. said...

The pencil is funny! It sounds like a good course!