Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Waiting for Christmas


Our tradition is for gifts to accumulate under the Christmas tree as they are wrapped throughout the month before Christmas. Our tree had been up for a couple of weeks this year before I put any under it that were for our kids. I told Lyle I kinda hated to because I knew it would start the begging. "Can we open just one now?" And it would be fun... to let them open just one! But the next day, it would be one more. And by the time Christmas came around there would be no gifts left, and what kind of let-down would that be? So... Mom had to be "mean" and say, "No. You have to wait till Christmas!"

Waiting's hard, isn't it? I think the hardest thing for me to wait for is answers. What will happen in the future? Will things work out the way I think they should? What if they don't? When I don't have all the answers right now, I tend to worry and fret about all the what-ifs. With the uncertain economy this year, the stress increases. I'm learning (gradually) that it's just a pointless waste of time and energy to worry about such things.

When the future arrives and the answer comes, it's kinda like Christmas. Sometimes things work out exactly how I wanted them to. Often they work out even better than I could have imagined. And occasionally it's not what was "on my list" at all, but it's what my Heavenly Father wanted me to have-- so I'm learning to be content... and trying not to worry!

10 comments:

Mari said...

We do the same with our gifts. I like you analogy on waiting - so true!

Coloradolady said...

We do the same...and I agree...the waiting is not much fun....and it hard to do!

Making Memories 1999 said...

In the past, I've teasingly said that I'm going to write a book, and title it "WAIT - A four-letter word!" ;-) I'm learning to wait and be content along with you, friend! Blessings on you and yours this wonderful season! Merry Christmas!

Arby said...

We have a stack of presents under neath our tree, and my children never ask if they can open one early. It just doesn't happen. They KNOW. I'm kinda lucky that way.

Michele Williams said...

This year the waiting is not as hard. I'm having a stress free Christmas this year. God bless. Merry Christmas.

A Romantic Porch said...

Yep! Times are hard, aren't they? But God is always good! Merry Christmas to you and your sweet ones!

Renee said...

Stopping by to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Arby said...

May the Peace, Love, and saving Grace of our risen savior Jesus Christ be visited upon you now and always. Merry Christmas!

ChaChaneen said...

Merry Christmas Karla! Have a wonderful day with your family and friends & blessings to you and your precious family!
Janeen

Nikki said...

I really needed to read this today! Thank you for writing this! I am worrying about some things right now and they are an unknowns.