Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Knitting Socks


Just before Christmas I bought sock-knitting supplies as a take-along project for our trip. I have been so intrigued with some of the self-striping sock yarns that are available these days, and I've wanted to try them for a long time. I got the I Can't Believe I'm Knitting Socks book, 2 skeins of "Heart and Sole" wool blend sock yarn, and a 40" long size-1 circular needle. I found the book really easy to follow.

It took awhile to get used to knitting with such fine yarn. Not only that, the lace pattern I chose (for the leg part of the sock) was somewhat tedious. For every 2 or 3 rows I knit, I kept having to go back and pick out the last row or two for nearly the whole first sock! Fortunately, I finally caught the hang of it, and the second sock is going much faster.

I love the way the stripe is designed into the yarn. It has been so interesting to watch the pattern emerge. There is another way to finish off the toe that isn't so pointy, but I had already finished it before I realized it. So I decided to just leave it that way for this pair, but I'll do the next pair differently. Because you know I'm addicted now, don't you?

I can't wait to try another color of stripey yarn... and I understand there's a way to knit both socks at once so you don't have to knit one and then knit the other. Maybe I'll try that next.

I am trying to reserve this as my "take-along" project, though. I also have a goal to finish quilting the quilt for my bedroom that I started last winter. So that's my "evenings-at-home" project.

9 comments:

Mari said...

These are so cute! I just started knitting and have done 1 scarf and am working on another. Someday I may learn to do socks!

mary grace said...

I've never tackled socks because they intimidate me! You make it sound almost easy. Dare I try .... ???

Keetha Broyles said...

Well, I'm impressed!

I read in books about pioneer ladies knitting socks, or WWII women knitting socks for the troops - - -and I'm astounded at such a thing. Now here you are - - - a real life modern day lady and you're KNITTING SOCKS!!!!

bp said...

Those look warm! I like that color for socks.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love these socks, I never could knit, I really tried to learn, but gave up in disgust. I bet the look great with your Denim skirt.
Molly

Dori said...

I'm so glad you did this. I've been wanting to try it but haven't had enough nerve/time

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Oh how cool! Good job. They're cute and they look like they would be warm. I am completely impressed.

pse said...

Looks like you will reach you goal of finishing by Feburary. Do you remember seeing the socks that Great Grandma Luker knit for Great Grandpa in the early 1900's?

TOSHeidi said...

Wow - those are some great-looking socks. They look very warm and cozy. Great job! I can't knit. Nor can I crochet. But, I just bought Gracie and I those knitting looms and we're attempting to make some hats. Maybe I'll share pictures, if/when we ever finish them.