Thursday, February 25, 2010

"A Young Girl's Dream"

If you've read my blog for very long you know I have a small collection of vintage dishes... just odds and ends I've picked up here and there. Most don't have any sentimental value. I just think they're pretty.

One of my faithful blog readers is my Aunt 'Lene who blogs at Meditations and Memories. She also collects pretty dishes, but she's been at it a lot longer than I have! Last summer when I went to Louisiana for my grandmother's funeral, Aunt 'Lene gave me this pretty Norman Rockwell plate. She has a whole collection of them on the wall of her dining room but she wanted me to have this one. She said it made her think of me and she thought I would like it. She even let me look at her other Rockwell plates to see if there was another one I would like better. There wasn't. She was right! This one was my favorite!

So she told me me the story about it. She had seen the plate advertised in a magazine, 25 years ago or so, and just loved it. So she splurged and bought it for herself. She said it reminded her of a trip she made by bus when she was a young lady. (Aunt 'Lene, correct me if I got the story wrong!)

It's a limited edition plate (though not particularly rare) with a date of 1985 on the back. That must have been about the time Aunt 'Lene got it... and it was the year I was married. So that makes it even more special to me!

Right now I have it on a shelf with other dishes in the living room. I plan to eventually hang it in the bedroom when I finally finish re-decorating in there. I think it will look neat with a vintage suitcase and some old linens nearby.

Visit Coloradolady for more Vintage Thingy Thursday posts.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

WOW...what a special treasure!
Hugs,
andrea

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh, you and Aunt Lene picked wisely!!! I LOVE that girl. I think she's going off to meet her true love who's serving in the military. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Elizabeth said...

I have always liked that Rockwell painting. She looks scared, but hopeful, probably off on her own for the first time. I wonder if she had a great time wherever she went. Or maybe she's waiting for someone she is wary of?
What a sweetie your aunt is, to know exactly what you'd like!

Nancy M. said...

It's gorgeous!

Postcardy said...

I like the vintage luggage in the picture. That's a good reminder of a trip and your aunt.

Renee said...

Such a pretty plate and what wonderful memories associated with it.

Linda said...

What a wonderful piece you have here and awesome memories!

Blessings,
Linda

Coloradolady said...

Lovely plate...and love the story of how you got it! Have a great VTT!

concretenprimroses said...

such a pretty plate and painting. I love the edge of it too.
Kathy

pse said...

Great decorating idea. I have a vintage suitcase. Remind me to give it to you.

Tammy said...

Wow, that is a lovely plate. A real treasure.

thasnifty said...

that is a fabulous plate. So beautiful. I love all things by Norman Rockwell. He really captured so much emotion with such dignity. Thanks so much for sharing that treasure.

-brightest blessings-
Karina

thasnifty.blogspot.com

Aliene said...

Thanks Karla, I was so happy to give that plate to you and glad it has a special meaning. Guess you get the sentamentalism from me.
But at my age it can be a bad thing. So much collected and wanting to give to to someone who really appreciates it becomes a problem. But guess you are always there. I gave Dorrie a plate, also but don't really know
Naomi's taste. Guess I'll send her a picture of them all and let her pick. Or better than that she might just have tocome and get it like you two did. Everytime you look at the plate remember I love you. Aunt "Lene