Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Funny Valentine

Lyle and I have never been inclined to let the calendar dictate when we express our love to each other. Sometimes we do observe holidays. Other times we just let them slip quietly by.

Finances are tight this year, and our work schedules are pretty full right now, so we didn't make any special plans or exchange gifts for Valentines. Lyle needed to work yesterday evening and Laura had a babysitting job. Becky and I went to the print shop to hang out with Lyle and pitch in where we could. We finished the job about 8:30 so I suggested we could "celebrate" Valentines by getting an ice cream treat at Sonic.

Wouldn't you know it? Sonic was closed by the time we got there. (What's up with it closing before 9:00 p.m.? No idea!) We quickly formulated Plan B and stopped at Wal-Mart to get some ice cream to take home.

As we passed the greeting card aisle we talked about how we hadn't bought cards for each other.

"Hey! I know! We could pick out cards and then just pass them to each other to read!" I suggested.

I stood in front of the "Cards for Husband" section and Lyle began perusing cards from the "Cards for Wife" section. They were, of course, right next to each other. First we picked out sweetly sentimental cards.

After two or three of those, my oh-so-romantic man said, "Okay. That's about all I can stand of that mush!"

"But they're sweet!" I protested. (He has actually been known to buy me mushy cards before. He just won't admit it.) I think he just didn't want to be that sappy in public. Because, you know, Wal-Mart is a happenin' place at 9:00 on Valentine's night!

So we switched to funny cards. We stood there for five minutes or so, passing cards back and forth, and cracking up laughing. Then we decided we better go home before the ice cream melted.

Being married to the love of my life makes every day Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Funny thing! As Fisherhubby and I strolled through Wal-Mart on Valentine's evening, we DISCUSSED doing this very thing with cards - - - but we only chuckled about it and kept on going.

Angel @ Finding The Inspiring said...

This is what it's all about...Going with the flow! Love means never having to "let the calendar dictate when we express our love to each other." Great stuff. :)

pse said...

Last week I looked at cards that DAE and I had exchanged in the past and intended to get them out and reread them this Valentine's day. I remembered and mentioned it this morning in town. Forgot it yesterday!

Making Memories 1999 said...

I recently read of another couple who did this. I love it!! =)