Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Sweet Reminder

Last fall I bought a couple of pretty mum plants and transplanted them into my front flower bed. I hoped they would come back this year, and much to my delight, they did! I've been watching them grow all summer, carefully pinching them back so they wouldn't get too "leggy." I was excited to see the first little nubby buds show up a few weeks ago... and finally... they have begun to bloom, right on schedule!

But what have we here?
In the same flower bed, I have a treasured little azalea bush that my dear friend, Kay, bought for me as a housewarming gift when we moved into this house three-and-a-half years ago. It has faithfully bloomed each spring, and I've been so happy that it has seemed to thrive for me.

Did you notice I said it blooms in the spring? Imagine my surprise to notice this little guy... just one lonely little bud... blooming brightly last week! In September. Not May.

I have no idea why the funny little flower bloomed out-of-season. It seems like there might be some sort of spiritual lesson there if I could just put it into words.

It's been two years today since Kay went to Heaven. Spiritual lesson or not, I thought it was nice of God to let that one little flower bloom to remind me of my special friend.

1 comment: