Saturday, October 29, 2011

I have to tell this one on myself...

Yeah, I know. I've been horridly neglecting my blog lately, with the exception of product reviews, which I was obliged to post. And yes, I admit, I seem to have overbooked them for the past month or so. Sorry about that. I really am almost caught up, so maybe I can get back to blogging about real life again soon.

In the meantime, I thought I'd throw this stupid little incident out there for your amusement. I have no pictures to go with it, but it made me laugh. At myself. So I thought you might enjoy it, too.

Cookie (the dog) and I went with Lyle to the print shop this morning. He needed to work half a day, and I had some copies I needed to make. Cookie? She just likes to hang out with us.

Along about mid-morning Miss Cookie indicated that she needed to go outside. Figuring it wouldn't take long, I darted out with her without taking time to put my jacket on. It wasn't freezing cold, I noticed as I stepped outside, but it was a nippy late-October morning.

Cookie quickly took care of business, so we turned to go back in. That's when I realized that the door had locked behind me. And Lyle was working in the back. So he didn't hear me pounding on the door. And pounding. And pounding. For about five minutes.

Man, I wish I had put my jacket on. And picked up my phone. Now what?

I considered my options. There were no open businesses in the neighborhood who might have a phone I could use. I could sit down and wait for Lyle to notice I wasn't inside. No telling how long that would take. I could walk home. But it's 2 miles. And I had no jacket. And no leash for the dog.

I wonder if he would hear me if I banged on the back door? Probably not. He was kinda in the middle of the building. But I couldn't think of any other options, so I decided to wade through the tallish wet grass to go around the building and give it a try.

Ah. The back door pounds louder than the front door. That's helpful. Maybe he will hear it. I hope so, because by now I'm needing to go to the bathroom, besides getting chilled.

What a relief! He did hear it, and came to let us in. He was a little concerned at the loud knocking because he hadn't even realized the dog and I were outside.

I explained, "I took Cookie out. And the door locked behind me. And I didn't have my phone. Or my jacket. And I gotta go to the bathroom!" And I headed there first.

As I was washing my hands, my pocket started ringing.

Um. Yeah.

The phone had been in my pocket the entire time. If I had waited just a few more minutes it would have rung while I was outside. Then I would have realized I had a way to call Lyle to let me in.

I'm such a ditz sometimes!


Farrah said...

I read that aloud to Greg and Kylen. We all had a good chuckle at your expense. :-)

Greg says: "Yeah, if you knew you had the phone, maybe you could have taken a picture for this blog post!"

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Lol! Of course you had the phone. Sounds like something I would do. :)

Jan said...

LOL!! This is just the beginning, Karla! It's all down hill from here. lol I like Greg's thought!
Now, that's what I would have done, taken a pic for the blog, and still not realized I could call. ;-)

Sheila DelCharco said...

Oh Karla! I'm glad you didn't freeze out there for too long! (I'm also glad you're back to blogging about real life!)

pse said...

Karla, that make me think of the time in Lima when Tim and I locked ourselves out of the house early one morning. The neighbor drove us to the school to get the house key from you. I was thankful she offered to go into the school to get the key since I was still in my bath robe.