Friday, October 14, 2011

A Lamp to My Feet

Usually, my favorite version of the Bible to read is the New King James (or sometimes even the old-fashioned KJV). I guess it's because I grew up using the KJV and those are the Words that are most familiar to me. The NKJV has retained the same flavor but is a little easier to understand with modern spellings and the "thees" and "thous" changed to "yous."

Awhile back I downloaded The Message Promise Book for my Kindle while it was temporarily free. It is a collection of Bible promises organized by topic in The Message translation. Several people I highly respect really enjoy reading from The Message for their personal Bible reading, though I've never cared for it much myself. For some reason this week I decided to read the little Promise Book on my Kindle. Both the organization into topics and the "fresh" language have been just what  I needed right now. The colloquial turns-of-phrase have me reaching for my "real" Bible to compare the verses. Here is an example of one that stood out to me this morning:

Matthew 11:28-30 from The Message:
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
And then same verses in the dear, familiar words of the King James Version:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
I am so grateful for the easy access we have to God's Word, and that He is still (always!) faithful to speak to our hearts in just the way we need.

No comments: