Thursday, January 12, 2012

Winter Crochet Projects

Between keeping my Etsy shop stocked and enjoying the wonderful new crochet pattern books I got for Christmas, I have been happily hooking away every spare moment for the past few weeks. I haven't forgotten about my 99 Little Doilies book, either, though I have set it aside for a time. I have no doubt I'll get back to it eventually. In the meantime, I thought you might like to see what I've been working on lately.
This cute Regency style "bonnet" was a quick-and-easy project. I was actually able to find the yarn the pattern called for-- an alpaca wool and acrylic blend. It is a little coarser than I expected, but the color is so rich... and the hat is super warm and comfortable. It was perfect for ice-skating. I got lots of compliments on it, even though it doesn't look nearly as cute on me as it does the model.
This dainty "lace mantelet" is my current major project. I didn't find the yarn the pattern called for. Instead, I'm using a blend of merino wool, rayon, and nylon that I am very happy with. It is very soft and will be warm, I think. As you can see, the pattern is worked up very similar to a doily, but with arm holes. Because the yarn is so fine, it  takes a long time to get around the edge the larger it gets. I had hoped to finish it in January, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

For other crocheters who may be interested, my new books are:

1 comment:

pse said...

Beautiful work! I love your crocheting.