Monday, November 5, 2012

50 Questions - Part 1

I saw the tag questions on 'Tasha's blog, Day by Day, originally... and I was tempted... but decided my blog readers had seen enough of my answers to these types of things.  And then... Jan @ Butterflies and Rainbows posted her answers... and I was tempted again. The clincher was when she actually called me out at the end of her post. Just me! By name! Why, I'd be plumb embarrassed to not participate after that.

Here the first 25 questions with my answers. I'll post the rest another day. And please, do feel free to play along. Let me know if you do. I'd love to read your answers.
1. Are you young at heart, or an old soul?
I'm an old soul. Always have been. Even when I was young (as a pre-teen and teen) I had "grandma" hobbies like knitting and crocheting... and writing letters... and reading stories to little kids.

2. What Christmas present do you remember the most?
I remember lots of presents. I have a good memory! I remember (and still have) several rag dolls that my mother made different years. I should get them out now and let them live in my baby buggy which has finally "come home" to my living room. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've blogged about it, other than posting a picture of Rachel and myself when we were babies on her birthday once. I'm slowing working on cleaning and decluttering this fall, so when I get my rag dolls out I'll be sure to show you pictures of them and the buggy.

3. Name one physical feature that you like about yourself, and one you don't like.
I have thick wavy-ish hair, so I guess that's what I like best. I have never colored it, and it's beginning to "lighten" around the "edges." I'm still not inclined to color it.

I've always wished I wasn't quite so tall (I'm 5'10"), but mostly when other people comment on it. Other than that, it doesn't really bother me. Why is it not okay to comment on someone's weight, but fair game to make remarks about their height? Just wondering. I mean, after all, weight is changeable. Height is not.

4. What holiday do you most look forward to?
My anniversary, which was this past weekend. Does that count as a holiday? I actually don't like national holidays very much. I'm not a Grinch (I hope), but I have found myself wishing that we didn't have big full-blown holidays every year. It just seems like so much excess. I like keeping celebrations as simple as possible.

5. How is the relationship between you and your parents?
I have a good relationship with my parents. They are so supportive and encouraging in everything I attempt.

6. You've got the TV on, but you're not really watching. What channel is the TV on? 
That never happens. I can't stand for the TV to be on if I'm not really watching it. In fact, I never turn it on. I watch TV with Lyle in the evenings sometimes. We only watched pre-recorded programs so we can skip commercials. Sometimes I'm just in the room with him, working on crocheting or reading a book while he watches sports.

7. If you could pick anywhere to live the rest of your life, where would it be? 
Northern Idaho is my #1 choice of places to live. We moved here 14 years ago, and we love it. My second choice would be Montana.

8. Have you ever spent a night in the hospital?
No, I never have. I've never had surgery, either, and the only bone I've ever broken was my little toe.

9. Do you enjoy being with only one or two friends, or with a large group of people? 
I strongly prefer being with one or two friends at a time. I feel overwhelmed in large groups.

10. Do you like the type of music your parents listen to? Do your parents like the type of music you listen to?
I think so. I enjoy traditional sacred music (hymns), and I know that's what they like, too. I also enjoy easy-listening style music and classical. The thing is, I actually don't listen to music all that much. Just like I don't like having the TV on when I'm not watching it, I don't like background music, as a rule, either.

11. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? 
I'm going to say salad because that could be so many different things and have a wide range of ingredients. That's probably cheating, but I love variety, so I would have a very hard time choosing just one food to eat for the rest of my life.

12. Do you believe in a god? 
I believe in and have a personal relationship with the only true God, the Creator of the universe.

13. What's you're favorite hash-tag to track? 
Sometimes #homeschool. Sometimes #writing.

14. When you were young, what would you dream you would be when you grew up?
I often thought of becoming a nurse... or a librarian... or a teacher... or a novelist. Turns out, nursing was definitely not for me, though both my sisters are nurses. The librarian career requires more schooling than I could afford. I'm currently in my 15th year as a homeschool-teacher. Just another year-and-a-half to wear that hat. It has been so fulfilling. And so the next stage is to become a novelist.

15. Do you want to have more friends than you have right now?
I don't need more friends, but I'm always happy to make new friends.

16. Have you ever met someone through the Internet, then met them in real life? 
Yes, quite a few people actually. When I first started contracting for Sonlight,  I hadn't met any of my co-workers in real life, though I worked with them online. Since then I have met them, and we are all good friends now.

17. Tell me about the last book you read. 
It was Soul's Gate by James Rubart. I'll be posting my review later this week.

18. Predict what your life will look like a year from now. 
I don't expect any major changes, but you never know what a year will hold.

19. Early bird or night owl? 
Night owl for the most part, but I have managed to get in the habit of getting up early, which requires going to bed earlier than I would naturally. Which is a good thing, I think. I'm definitely not a morning person.

20. Where do you live? 
In northern Idaho. I thought we already established that. Oh, I guess the earlier question was, "Where would you like to live?" Okay. Same thing.

21. What was the longest car ride you've ever taken? 
I'm not sure. It might have been the two-week road trip we took in 1991 from Kansas to Pennsylvania. Or it may have been the road trip from here to the Grand Canyon and then up the west coast in 2006. Another possibility was the trip from here to Illinois and back in 2009. Each of those trips included little side-trips and scenic driving along the day. Lyle could probably figure it out and tell me for sure, which one was longest.

22. What is your ethnic heritage? 
I am "American" for at least 200 years back on most branches. One of my great-great-grandmothers came from England in the late-1800s... and one of my great-great-great grandfathers came from Germany in the mid-1800s. Most of my ancestors came from England further back than that.

23. Do you want to live until you're 100? 
I might. If that's what God wills. But I would only enjoy it if I could be healthy both physically and mentally. One of my great-grandmothers lived to be 101. I was 22 when she died (I think-- something like that). I remember her visiting us when she was in her 90s and I was in high school. Her mind was sharp until she died. It was neat to be able to know her and listen to her stories.

24. Do you practice what you preach? 
I hope so. I try to.

25. Have you ever laughed uncontrollably when it was socially inappropriate? 
Oh, yes. The one memory that sticks in my mind is when I was in high school and my sisters and I were singing as a trio. Our church at the time had clear glass doors which could be seen from the platform... out the back of the sanctuary, through the vestibule, down the stairs and through the foyer. As we got up to sing this dog walked up to the doors and peered in. For some reason, that cracked us up. And you know how hard it is to quit laughing when someone is laughing with you. All three of us started snickering. The pianist, not being able to see out the door, did not realize we were tickled. She thought we were sobbing so she just kept playing softly. We finally composed ourselves enough to sing, and when we finished the song and sat down, our dad (the pastor) asked-- from the pulpit! -- "Girls, what was so funny?" That started us up again, and we tried to explain about the dog. No one else was very amused. Except the pianist, who thought it was funny that she thought we were "blessed" when we were actually laughing.

No comments: