Friday, November 16, 2012

Friday Fragments

Sparse blogging just seems to call for Fragments on Friday, don't you think? I wasn't even sure if I could scrape up any fragments to share... but then I read of Keetha's desperate dash around the house to gather up fragments to share, and if they aren't kicking her out of the Frag party for that, I guess I can do the same thing, right? Besides, several of you assured me that it was okay to blog even if I didn't have to have anything important to blog about, so you can only blame yourselves!

* * *

Yesterday, when I posted about making yogurt a certain commenter asked, "Is there ANY domestic skill in which you are NOT proficient?"

I laughed.

Ha.

If she could only see my house. Those of you who have been here know that my housekeeping can best (and by best, I mean, most kindly) described as "comfortable." In fact, Denise described me that way last week, "You are such a comfortable person and I am proud to call you friend ~ for over 30 years now!" She has never actually been to my house (though she has been to my parents' house long ago before either of us were married), but I guess she knows me well enough to know that "comfortable" is a good word for it. I took it as a compliment.

Anyway, as an example of a domestic skill which I do not possess, here is a picture of some gorgeous... and utterly delicious... pumpkin-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-and-dark-chocolate-leaves that my friend Janelle made a couple weeks ago. And yes, she made the leaves!! (If Janelle had a blog, I would link to it.)

* * *
Our first snow of the season was earlier this week. Our neighborhood looked like this for a couple of days.
Actually, we ended up with several inches... okay, maybe two! But the ground wasn't very cold yet so it didn't stick around long. That's fine with me. I would just as soon it not snow until winter officially starts. And that's not for another 5 weeks, thankyouverymuch!
The mums survived the snow, though they are almost through blooming, I think. The marigold (the stalky plant leaning over in front) did not. The white pumpkin did not. He's squishy and ready to be carted off. The orange pumpkin, on the other hand, gave his life for the benefit of culinary delights.
Laura tried her hand at making a pumpkin roll to start with. It also turned out utterly delicious. I've never attempted a pumpkin roll before, so there, you see? Another domestic skill I don't possess!

* * *
In Etsy news, my coffee cozies have been selling... well, not quite like I imagine hot cakes sell... but pretty well, at least for my little shop. I have lots of colors listed, but these are the most popular colors.
The top two sellers, by far, are the natural and sage. Interestingly enough, those are the most popular colors for my washcloths, too. Sadly, I'm almost out of the sage cotton yarn. I haven't been able to find more locally recently. I hope they haven't discontinued that color.

* * *
I went to a NaNoWriMo write-in last week. It was at a local coffee shop that I hadn't been to before. That was fun.
I hadn't been to a NaNo write-in before, either, so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did not expect was that most of the other "writers" would sit there chit-chatting most of the time. I don't know how they got any writing done. Maybe they're more talented than I am. I can't write and talk (or even listen to other people talking) at the same time. I managed to get around 1,000 words written in the two hours I was there... and the chit-chat finally died down about 30 minutes before I had to leave. I was parked in a two-hour zone, so rather than move my car, I just left. Next time I'll know to take ear buds.

There's no way I'm going to make it to 50,000 words by the end of the month, but that's okay. I am getting some developmental work done as well as writing.

* * *
In the evenings I've been hanging out a certain print shop. I can't say that I add a whole lot to the productivity, though I do try to help out wherever I can.
Mostly, I'm just there because a certain man seems to have taken up residence there, instead of here at home. I'm hopeful that next week, at least, may be a little slower for him, with the holiday. These 70-hour work-weeks are not doing either one of us a whole lot of good. I'm trying to coax him away for a day trip tomorrow, but it will just depend on how much work comes in today. He usually runs out of time during the week and ends up having to work on Saturday, too, to get it all done.

* * *
Thank you for tuning it to this week's episode of Friday Fragments here at Ramblin' Roads! Please come again!
Mommy's Idea

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...


Woah! I got yet ANOTHER shout out on your FF post THIS week!

Now see, those were GREAT posts - - - far better than running around your house with your camera looking for the random that is you. And of course by THAT you I do mean me.

AND, I saw that little "quote" of me in a later frag - - - don't think you could sneak THAT by me.

BTW - - - I ALREADY took a photo of my FIRST frag for NEXT WEEK this morning! Woot - - - my FF post was barely off the press and I was starting on next week's.

A Romantic Porch said...

Well now those are very interesting fragments! And I actually figured out how to link back to you from the posting I did today or tonight or this morning...whatever you wanna call it. Yippee!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Yay for homemade pumpkin rolls... and beautiful cupcakes!! Wow, those look good... and pretty. BUT...no yays for snow, especially this early. =) We've only had frosts up til this point, so I'll gladly take that. Hope you and your sweet family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!