Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chicken Update #3

 This weekly livestock report is brought to you by Becky who has been asking me for the past 2 or 3 days, "Mom, when are you going to blog about the chickens again?"

Each day the chickens require training, don't you know? Because, these aren't just laying-hens-in-waiting. Oh, no. And heaven forbid you even think of the possibility of them being meat birds. {shudder} "The Girls" are meant to be pets, if not members of the family. Their egg-laying potential is just a bonus.

Two or three times a day Becky goes out into the garage and carefully gathers her four Girls out of their brooder into a box to bring them into the house for their regular training session and photo shoot. It's too cold for them to be outside much yet. So she spreads an old towel on the floor and watches them carefully to make sure they stay on it during their training.

So far Becky has taught the Girls to roost and to fly. When they get a little older, I'm sure she'll teach them to lay eggs.

I don't think they're quite ready yet. After all, they are only 2 weeks old.

It has been fascinating to see how much they change every day. They aren't as cute and fuzzy as they were at first, but the feathers that are growing in and developing are beautiful. I'm glad we got four different breeds so we could notice the variety between each kind




3 comments:

Dinah smith said...

Oh, the responsibility of raising a chicken, I just don't think I could do it!!

A Romantic Porch said...

It will be so lovely to watch her teach them to lay eggs.;)
Rachel

Keetha Broyles said...

I used to have a bloggy friend who had a pet rooster who lived in the house and was paper trained.

or so she said, I never met the dandy cock myself.