Monday, March 11, 2013

Flower Arranging

Saturday morning Laura and I attended the monthly ladies meeting at church. Laura wasn't too sure she wanted to go, but when she found out that a friend of ours was going to be demonstrating flower arranging, she decided that sounded like fun. We were each supposed to bring a bud vase and a pair of scissors.

First, our friend (a former florist) showed how to arrange a dozen roses. I picked up several tips from her. She told us that roses need a fresh cut every time they are out of water because the stems "seals" back up within 10 seconds. So it's important to cut the stem right before you put them back in water. I had known you were supposed to cut them again, but I hadn't known about the "10 second rule" or understood why. She also showed us how to weave leaves of fern together to make a nice base for the arrangement. And then how to arrange 6 roses around the bottom of the arrangement, then 5 in the middle, and then one at the top with greenery as she went along, and  adding filler last.

After the demonstration we were all invited to make our own arrangement using one rose and whatever greenery and filler we wanted. It was interesting to me to see how different everyone's arrangements looked with just one rose. And it was fun to get to take our arrangements home with us.

5 comments:

Jan said...

So pretty!! You must be red, and Laura yellow??

Karla Cook @ Ramblin' Roads said...

Nope. It's the other way around. Laura's is the root-beer bottle. I thought I mentioned that in the post, but now I see I must have edited it out. LOL! The neck of my vase was real narrow so I didn't have room to put in very many stems of anything. Still, I thought it turned out pretty.

A Romantic Porch said...

That is so pretty. How fun!
xo rachel

Dinah smith said...

I thought it was interesting too how different everyones looked. Rog even mentioned it when he saw them coming out the door. Thanks for your moral support, I am glad I did not have to be a weight in your arms LOL!

pse said...

I love learning about flower arranging. They are beautiful!