Thursday, June 27, 2013

My backyard...

...does not offer as much "scope for the imagination" as the open road does... but I like it anyway. I've been enjoying just being at home for the past couple of weeks. It's been rainy and cool, which is not that unusual for June in these parts.
 Laura's strawberry plants are thriving. I think they like the wet, cool days. Laura planted them last year, so this is the first real harvest we've had from these plants. I do love fresh berries.
 I've put in a tiny garden, with just 6 or 8 plants. And, of course, the weeds appreciate the rain as much as the veggie plants do. I think it's time to get out the hoe.
 Over in the chicken coop Becky's pullets are happy and healthy. They bawk loudly every time they see her step outside, and when she lets them out of the pen they trail along behind her like she's the Mother Hen. They are definitely entertaining. And finally, they are beginning to look like real chickens. We're hoping for eggs sometime in September.
 I had actually gone out back to take a picture of this year's graduation afghan that I recently completed for my nephew. (Last year's picture is here... and the one for 2010 is here.) Notice who is lurking just to the right of the chair?
 It's Tabitha the Cat, who doesn't care that she's quite fat.
Nor does she care that she's also very undignified as she rolls around on her back waving her paws in the air.

I guess my own backyard is not so boring after all!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Haha! I agree with you, your back yard is very entertaining...Tabitha and the chickens especially! There is just no place like home, is there? I have been busy working in my backyard this week. It has been so much more inviting with Benji playing in his pool every day!