Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas report

This seems to be the time for giving Christmas reports, so here's mine...

We had a wonderful QUIET weekend! We decided to bump Christmas up a day at our house, because our church had regular services Christmas morning. So Friday night we had a very special devotional time with "Daddy" reading and commenting on the Christmas story from both Matthew and Luke. We had a fire in the fireplace and the kids opened their traditional Christmas Eve presents... something to sleep in (in this case jersey-weight bathrobes with zipper fronts) and something "spiritual" to take to bed. Sometimes that's been Bible story books, but this year it was Sugar Creek Gang audio books. (Wonderful life lessons in the Sugar Creek Gang stories!) We didn't have a tree this year, for several reasons, so we just piled the gifts on the dining room table after the children went to bed. The pile was not large... Seems like every year I worry at the last minute that it's not enough... Of course, it always is!

I planned several finger-food type meals to have on hand over the weekend... cheese-log and crackers, meatballs in barbecue sauce, artichoke dip and bagel chips, summer sausage, fresh veggies and ranch dip, etc. We enjoyed the variety, and I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking fancy meals for just the 4 of us.

The kids got up early to open presents on Saturday morning. They were thrilled with their gifts. I knew I didn't need to worry! Their main gift was a set of walkie talkies, so they had a good time seeing how far the range was and learning how to use them. (We think they will come in handy for hiking and camping.) Besides that, they got tennis shoes and books and just a couple smaller things. What seemed a little strange to me was that we didn't buy them any toys! But they honestly don't need more than what they have, and I just couldn't see adding to the clutter just for the sake of them having toys to open on Christmas.

We spent Saturday mostly just relaxing around the house. DH and the kids did go to Wal Mart. One pair of the tennis shoes were too small, so I suggested they go exchange them that day rather than waiting till the day after Christmas. I knew the exchange lines would be really bad then.

Our pastor and his wife invited us over for tacos that night. They live "next door". Christmas Eve was their 52nd anniversary. They had gone out to eat on Friday night, but they always have tacos at home on Saturday night.

Sunday morning was church. More relaxing that afternoon. We were to go to my brother-in-law's house that evening at 6:00 for snacks and games. We left about 5:00 to have time to drive around and look at lights.

We enjoyed a third day of just kickin' back around the house on Monday. We worked on a project of transferring home movies to DVDs. Also, a similar project of transferring 40-year-old family reel-to-reel tapes to CDs. The reel-to-reel equipment is very old and not in the best condition, as you can imagine. DH was checking on eBay to see about getting another machine. He found one that would transfer reel-to-reel to 8-track! Maybe that would be just as good? LOL!

We are planning a Family Game Night for our "youth group" for Saturday night, New Year's Eve. We won't go till midnight, though, because of church Sunday morning. We have a family-based youth group, which includes parents... and we also invite any of the older people from church who are interested. So our "youth group" is really only about half "youth" but that's the way we like it! I am planning to serve sloppy joes and tater tots for our party.

No comments: