Thursday, April 27, 2006

Herpatology

My little girl is taking a "herpatology" class at our homeschool co-op this trimester. I had no idea what "herpatology" is. Come to find out, it's the study of reptiles and amphibians. Yesterday she proudly brought home a plastic cup full of frog eggs. They are going to hatch into tadpoles, and then turn into frogs! She is just sure of it! Not having a frog pond in my back yard, and knowing that gallon jar probably wouldn't be the proper habitat for tadpoles we duly trotted off to the thrift store to see if we could find something more appropriate. (I remembered from when we had goldfish that such critters need to have a wide surface of the water exposed to the air to get enough oxygen, so a wide shallow container is better than a narrow deep one.) I was hoping to not have to get something quite as large as a 10-gallon aquarium, since we are pretty limited on space. Fortunately, we found the perfect thing for $2! I don't know if it's a gold fish bowl, or maybe for crabs or turtles or something like that. It's good size... maybe 3 gallons? R was so excited. I told her we had to let the water age to allow the chemicals to evaporate before we could dump the eggs in. (Something else I learned from when we had goldfish.) I did some research on the internet and found out you're supposed to let it sit in the sun for 5-7 days before you get your frog eggs. Well, we had the frog eggs in hand, so I remembered I had most of a gallon of distilled water. I decided that would be a better choice. She put the water in last night and I made her wait at least overnight... not sure why... it just seemed like the thing to do. This morning she dumped the eggs in, and was absolutely fascinated to sit and study the things for the longest time! Hmm... reckon we could manage to look at one under the microscope? We should try!!

Anyway... such is our experiment with herpatology. We'll see if we actually get any little pollywogs or frogs, even, out of the deal!

No comments: