Friday, May 25, 2012

The Power of Words

Yesterday morning my husband injured his hand at work. He got his finger caught in a paper clamp and pretty much crushed it. Long story short, he ended up having surgery on it in the afternoon to try to save it, and so we spent most of the day in the waiting room. Not what he or I either one had planned for the day, but life's adventures do sometimes throw us a curve ball.

Finally they called us back to the pre-op area. After taking care of all the preliminaries they put some sort of solution into his IV and told us that he probably wouldn't remember much of anything after that. Sometimes people get a little loopy as they go under anesthesia so I was hoping he might do or say something goofy that I could tease him about later. (Obviously, this was not a life-threatening injury or I wouldn't have been so blithe.) Much to my disappointment he didn't act drunk or anything.

As they were about to wheel him away the nurse told me, "You can hug him or kiss him or whatever would be appropriate." :-) So I leaned down to give him a quick kiss... on the lips, mind you! ...and he kissed me back-- this is important to the story. I murmured, "I love you," and patted his shoulder as I went back to the waiting room.

When his surgery was over I was curious to see how his memory was affected. "Do you remember me kissing you?" I asked him.

"You didn't kiss me!" he protested.

"I most certainly did!" I insisted.

"Nuh-uh. You said, 'I love you,' but you didn't kiss me!"

So that was my funny story to tell the kids of what happened when Dad was under the influence of anesthesia.

I thought it was interesting, though, that he remembered the words but not the kiss. Just goes to show that sometimes words do speak louder than action.

P.S. I do have pictures of his injury-- that he took while waiting to the see the doctor initially-- but I decided you probably wouldn't want to see them. You're welcome.


5 comments:

Jan Cline said...

I've always been afraid of what I would say or do while under anesthesia. You just never know what might come out of your mouth. Hope he is being a good patient for you!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Yes, I felt weird, when after my first surgery, I realized that the "anti-memory" meds would allow me to follow directions and not even remember it!! =)

Hope your hubby's hand heals quickly! Blessings!

Farrah said...

Hoo boy! Praying for a speedy recovery!!! =)

Wendy said...

I will be praying for a speedy recovery for your hubby! I'm really sorry this happened to him, but I'm thankful for this reminder that our words really do mean more than our actions most of the time! I'm also following your blog now. I thought I had done that in the past, but evidently not. Have a wonderful weekend!

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh My! So sorry! I'm assuming they "saved" the finger since you didn't say that they didn't. Here's hoping!