Friday, May 12, 2006

For your convenience...

Why is it, that so many things that are actually inconvenient are labeled, "For Your Convenience..."? Do "they" (whoever "they" might be) really think we're that stupid?

I was just in Safeway buying some cough medicine for my child who has a cough. In the cold medicine aisle was a notice: "For your convenience Sudafed products are now available in the pharmacy." I did know that. It's been that way for several years. But... excuse me??? For my convenience??? I don't think so! I understand why they had to do that, and have jumped through the hoops without complaining on more than one occasion to buy that particular product... but please don't try to make me think this is a favor you're doing me!

Okay... well... in a round about way, maybe it is. I guess it is for "my convenience" to help control drug abuse... but, really, couldn't they just say what they mean? "Unfortunately, due to abuse of an ingredient in Sudafed you will now be required to ask for it at the pharmacy. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I've also seen signs at various places, "For your convenience please turn off your cell phone..." What? Are we just so selfish we will only be coerced into being thoughtful if we can be convinced that it's in our own best interest? If so, that's kind of a sad commentary on our society!

But you know what? Maybe that's just the way it is. I have noticed repeatedly that most people (even Christians) are only willing to help out with needs of others if it's convenient for them first... and that's too bad.

No comments: