Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Evening Photography

We were in McCall, Idaho for the holiday weekend. We went to the lake to see the fireworks on the 4th of July. It was fun to experiment with some of the settings on our camera that evening.

The "sunset light" setting worked great for pictures of the actual sunset on the lake...
It didn't do so well for close-up pictures...
Then I changed to the "fireworks" setting and handed the camera to Lyle. His hands are steadier than mine.
I thought it was neat how it captured the fireworks with squiggly lines!
Of course, this is not what they actually looked like.
But I like the pictures anyway!
These 2 (above and below) are my favorites.

In other news, I have received word this week that my grandmother will be going to Heaven soon. My daughters and I are going to fly to Louisiana tomorrow night. I don't know if we'll get there before she slips away, but either way I just felt like I wanted to go be with my Dad at this time.

As I was posting the sunset and fireworks pictures just now I couldn't help but think about a song one of my uncles shared at my grandfather's funeral in 2007:
As I wander today, 'neath the setting sun,
I dream of the days long ago.
And it seems I was traveling home once more
with loved ones I used to know.

At sundown--I'm going home.
At sundown--no more to roam.
Sweet voices are calling, calling me
and I'm going home at sundown.

Now the sun of my life is sinking low
And my steps quicker grow as before
For my loved ones I know are waiting now
To welcome me home once more.

At sundown--I'm going home.
At sundown--no more to roam.
Sweet voices are calling, calling me
and I'm going home at sundown.

It's such a bittersweet time of parting and celebration... letting a loved one go. Kinda like watching the sun go down, and then rejoicing to see the sky explode with a riot of glorious colors.

6 comments:

TattingChic said...

Those are great fireworks photos!

The poem you shared is lovely.

Laura said...

What a beautiful and meaningful post, Karla.

Karen (KayKay) said...

Beautiful post. I remember spending the 4th of July in the hospital when my dad was sick. We could see fireworks going off outside his window. Yes, bittersweet.

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla...I'm thinking of and praying for all of you. Love, Rachel

Stella said...

Wonderful poem. Blessings on you and your family. Stella

Constance said...

I went back and visited your strawberry post on your Maw Maw and it made me think of my own precious Grandma. She went home to be with Jesus 9 years ago this month! What an assurance when your loved one is with the Lord! Jesus doesn't tell us NOT to grieve, just NOT to grieve, like those who have no hope. Where would we be w/o that small 4 letter word filled with such overabundant promise?!

My Hub is a photographer and when he takes pictures of fireworks he puts his camera on a tripod, slows the shutter speed down and uses a remote to snap the photo. His have turned out beautifully!

Connie