Friday, November 8, 2013

Fragmented Thoughts for November

I have a love-hate relationship with the month of November. 

It's the month I was born, 
as well as the month I was married, 
so double reasons to celebrate, 
in addition to Thanksgiving.
My children presented me with this lovely bouquet of mums 
in honor of our anniversary last week.
They bought their dad candy.
The other part of their gift was a series of pictures
they had a friend take of them at a local park.
I was so pleased!
I told them they could do that as a gift for us for any occasion.
 Speaking of mums, the ones in my flower bed 
have been blooming since early September.
Some of the blossoms are beginning to fade, 
but the plant is still putting out buds, too.
That's two months and counting of bloom time.
This is the fourth year I've had them.
Isn't that wonderful?
 With the ever-shortening daylight hours and the drizzly gray skies
(which is what I hate about November),
I appreciate the bright spot in my front flower bed...
 ...and the still-fresh Jack-o-lanterns on the front step
which I plan to leave up until after Thanksgiving,
or until they start to soften, whichever comes first.
 An early snow this week reminded us that, ready-or-not, winter is upon us.
We've winterized the trailer and put away the bikes and lawn furniture,
and are turning our attention to more indoor pursuits.

Happy November!

2 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

Funny!!...I was just wondering yesterday if people "favored" the month of their birthday or anniversary. I guess not, in your case at least.
November isn't my favorite either. It's sad to see nature go to sleep.
Our pumpkin only lasted a couple days after carving before it began to mold and wilt.
xo rachel

Rebekah said...

I LOVE fall! I so enjoying curling up with a good book on a cloudy, dreary day while sipping a cup of hot cider. I just wish I had more time to do it. :)