Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Gift

Two weeks after Christmas.

We were staying with my sister. We had been waiting for a phone call for almost a month. Finally it came.

"Your baby has arrived! Would you like to come meet her?"

The maternity section of the hospital was quiet that January evening. We washed our hands and donned scrubs as instructed, and they led us to an empty patient room. And we waited again.

But not too long. Pretty soon the nurse wheeled in the bassinet. She carefully lifted the tiny, blanket-wrapped bundle and laid our newborn daughter into my arms.
And in that moment, I became a mother.

It is, most assuredly, not a gift I take for granted.

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart,
But in it.

Happy Birthday, Laura!

3 comments:

Sheila DelCharco said...

What a great story! Happy birthday to Laura!

pse said...

I love that wonderful gift!

A Romantic Porch said...

I thought of her all day on Thursday. I hope was wonderful.