Monday, June 4, 2007

Homeschooling for High School

We are officially entering the high school years! I have looked forward to parenting teens ever since my kids were little tots. No, I'm not crazy. I just thought it sounded fun. I enjoyed my teen years, so I just figured I would enjoy my children's teen years, too. My mother says she did! She acted like she did at the time. (I'm beginning to notice I pattern a lot of my parenting choices after my own parents. I hope that's a compliment to them!) Other people have told me, "Oh! Just wait!" like it was some horrible nightmare to have to go through. I refused to believe them. And I still do. I am really looking forward to the next few years.

I've been poring over curriculum choices mapping out a tentative transcript for high school, and have a rough idea of the direction we'll head. I have most of our curriculum picked out for next year, anyway. Here's what I have in mind (with clickable links if you'd like more info):
  • History and Literature: Sonlight Core 100, "American History In-Depth"
  • History Supplement: Drive Thru History America
  • Language Arts Supplements: Grammar Ace, Winston Grammar Advanced, Sequential Spelling
  • Science: Apologia Biology
  • Math: Teaching Textbooks
  • Home Ec: Christian Light
  • Typing: Typing Instructor Deluxe
  • Spanish: Rosetta Stone

    Now... if just deciding on extra-curricular activities were that easy! There are so many worthwhile activities to choose from, and there is just no way we have time to do everything that looks interesting. Besides, I'm just not convinced it is a good thing for teens to be constantly running around from one thing to the next... I dunno... maybe that's just my personality coming through. I love to travel... but as far as being involved in a lot of outside-the-home activities on a day-to-day basis, I find I'm more of a home-body. Just praying for wisdom to find a balance... and hanging on for the ride!
  • No comments: