Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dying with Grace

My friend, Kay, moved to Heaven yesterday. Her life has been an inspiration to me in the years I've known her... but never more so than the past few weeks, as she serenely faced death. She was diagnosed with a Stage 4 brain tumor in early July, with only 3 to 6 months to live. She didn't quite make it to the 3-month mark.

In August we had Kay and her husband, Bill, over for supper. It was obvious that the tumor was taking a toll on her physically, but she was completely at peace and so happy to spend the evening with us.

There was no hint of grief or sorrow in either Kay or Bill, as we visited with them. I was amazed at all the blessings they shared with us... as the tumor had grown it had somehow suppressed the intense headaches Kay had been suffering with and she was able to sleep at night... they have heard from people whose lives they influenced 20 or 30 years ago and had no idea until now.

It has been just a little over 2 years ago since their son, Brad, was killed in Iraq. I was so amazed at the peace and serenity Bill and Kay exhibited at that time... and now this. I am convinced that only a close walk with the Lord can bring that kind of peace during such trying times.

Kay hugged me as they left that evening. She said, "Just remember God is always so much more gracious to us than we are to Him."
For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21

8 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Karla, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, I know that is hard. What an inspiration to have someone like her in your life....your post was very inspiring...Blessings.

ChefTracy said...

Thanks for sharing about Kay. I'm sorry for the passing of your friend, but it is wonderful to know she has met Jesus face to face! She has encouraged me tonight.

Ronda said...

So sorry about your friend. It increases my faith and inspires me to hear about someone who was such a blessing...

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Dear Karla,
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Losing someone we love is very difficult but the Lord always gives us the grace to move on. We have our sweet memories. What a joy to know she is in a better place and someday you will see her again.

Blessings,
Sandi

Nancy M. said...

She sounded like a wonderful lady! I'm sorry for your loss!

LV said...

How wonderful it would be to have the faith and belief that your friend had. I am not sure how I would respond in that situation. A loss is never easy, but time sure helps.

mary grace said...

I read this to my Mamaw while we were on the phone the other day, then realized I hadn't left a comment. I had to come back and tell you how much this post meant to both of us. ((hugs))

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, it is so hard to lose a friend you love. How wonderful that you have her for an inspiration though she is gone. xo rachel