Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Run that by me again?

Becky has taken an interest lately in collecting and trying to identify rocks. So far, she knows quartz when she sees it. She found the above specimen on a hike we went on earlier in the summer.

Yesterday she came in with a sparkly rock that belongs to the little neighbor girl. She was very impressed with the beauty of it and wondered what kind of rock it was. I didn't know, so she wandered back out.

A few minutes later she came charging back in, fairly bristling with excitement. "Mom! I need to call Grammy!"

I could tell it was something very urgent, but I still had to ask. "Why do you need to call Grammy?"

"Well, you remember the box of rocks you got for PaPa that time? She can look at that green rock in it and tell me what kind it is. That's the same kind as this one!"

The neighbor girl's rock was not green... but, "Okay. Call Grammy." And off she went.

Soon she returned with my cell phone, perfectly satisfied. "Grammy was a big help! It's a cardayvoo!"

Now, I admit, I don't know much about rocks, but I didn't remember ever hearing of... "a what?!?"

"A cardayvoo! I think that means crystal!"

All righty then.

And back out she went to spread the good news. The rock had been identified!

I immediately called my parents. Dad answered the phone. I could tell he had it on speaker phone for Mother's benefit. The first words out of my mouth were, "Are y'all laughing?"

Were they laughing? They were laughing so hard they could hardly talk.

Mother said there were about 3 green rocks in the box so she didn't know which one Becky meant. "Is it the green one with the gold sparkles in it?"

"Yeah! That's the one!"

"Well, that's an amethyst."

"Okay. Thank you! Good-bye."

How she got "cardayvoo" out of "amethyst" we'll never know!

She does have auditory processing issues so often says things in a funny way... but this was one of the funniest! What makes it even funnier... the neighbor girl's rock is white, not green. And it's definitely not an amethyst. Who knows? Maybe it is a "cardayvoo"!

6 comments:

Nancy M. said...

That is quite a stretch, isn't it? Funny!

pse said...

We are still laughing!

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Hi Karla,
I so enjoyed your post! I love rocks myself and I enjoy collecting a special one when I see it. I've never seen a cardyvoo, but if I do, I'll be sure to let you know! Thanks for the smile!

Blessings,
Sandi

Constance said...

That is cute! Our son is taking a Geology course this semester and is absolutely loving it! He's pretty fired up but his passion is still Meteorology!
Connie

Dori said...

How hilarious! I just love that girl!

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh my. I just love the things that our little darlings come up with. Last night our little darling said she wanted 2 dollars in fives! Rebecca is precious. Thanks for sharing. xo rachel