Monday, August 16, 2010

First Day of School... sorta...

Highway High School is taking up school early this year. The public schools around here don't begin until after Labor Day, and with my summer work we have usually found it most convenient to wait and start then as well. However, this year our school will have both a senior and a freshman, so we've decided to get a head-start on the year just to give us a little more wiggle room. The plan is that the girls will get to continue to sleep in mornings through the rest of August, but just one hour past their normal getting-up time (not as late as they feel like it, which they've been doing). They they will work on literature and math on their own for 3 weeks. (Yay for Teaching Textbooks math on the computer!) After Labor Day, we will start a full school schedule with an earlier rising time and adding in the other subjects.

We went last week for a little back-to-school shopping spree. I told them they could each spend up to $20 on school supplies, so they had fun picking out pens, notebooks, and other "necessities" for their desks. It's just a little bittersweet as I realize this is my last year to have two students. We are looking forward to a fun senior year with my oldest, but I'm sure there will be many poignant moments throughout. How could it have gone by so fast?

3 comments:

Autumn said...

How bittersweet!! I took my daughter "school shopping" for the first time. She's been watching me school her brother, and wants me to teach her how to read.

I hope one day I'll be preparing my senior (and freshman) for their last (and first) years of high school

A Romantic Porch said...

Wow! YOU have a senior?!! How did that happen!? Our kids are gonna be older that we are before we know it! xo rachel

Our Village is a Little Different said...

I'm stopping by with the TOS blog walk. I'm glad the school shopping was fun, and I hope you have a nice weekend.