Monday, December 6, 2010

"The Way to a Man's Heart..."


Coming up with the perfect gift for my husband is always a challenge. I want it to be something special that will express how much I love and appreciate him. Over the years I've learned that men don't want sentimental gifts. At least, my husband doesn't. The gifts he seems to appreciate the most are practical things, especially if it involves food! Isn't that funny? Something that he's going to eat, and then it will be gone. Here are some gift ideas along that line that my husband really enjoys.
  • a tin of chocolate chip cookies made from his mother's recipe
  • a batch of fudge
  • a batch of chocolate no-bake cookies
  • a box of See's chocolates 
  • a poster-board size card with a silly message using candy bars to spell out parts of the greeting (I've done this several times before, but I can't find where I've blogged about it. You can just Google "candy bar card" for ideas.)
  • a giant Hershey's candy bar
  • a big bag of M&M's (Do you see the pattern here? The man does love his chocolate!)
  • a cheese tray
  • breakfast dates on Saturday mornings (On work days he goes to work too early to want to take the time to sit down to eat, so weekend breakfasts are a treat for him.)
I try to mix it up a bit from one occasion to the next just to keep him guessing... and I usually try to throw in a few other practical gifts-- like tools, socks, and underwear. I know. It sounds boring to me. But what can I say? That's what he wants!

Interestingly enough, when I called my Dad yesterday for his birthday, he told me all about the wonderful apple pie Mother had made him. He described how she served it with whipped cream and how delicious it was. He didn't mention any other gifts. Yup. I'm pretty sure the old adage still holds: The way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

Visit Chrysalis for more Marriage Monday posts on "Joy for Two at Christmas."

5 comments:

Bobbi said...

Thanks...I'm glad to hear that my husband is the only one who really does enjoy getting sock and underwear (and tools) for Christmas! Smiles and love to you today!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Lol, great post. My man is hypoglycemic so no sugar anymore:( But I tell you he is still reached via the tummy, if I make him a sugar free cake he is bragging to everyone and I get extra kisses out of the deal.

Julie Arduini said...

Too funny on the adage, and I agree. Great ideas, cheese tray is a great one!

e-Mom said...

Giggling, giggling, giggling. Love it!

Our men are similar. e-Dad much prefers a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies (or tickets to a show) than just about anything else. And he becomes so affectionate whenever I cook something special for dinner!

I like this idea a lot: a poster-board size card with a silly message using candy bars to spell out parts of the greeting. It combines our love of words with their love of food!

There's just something primal about men and a wife who cooks...

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today Karla... and Merry Christmas from a fellow-PNWer!

Blessings, e-Mom ღ

gemini said...

hahhahaha...enjoying your post..am tickled and loving it. Happy Marriage Monday and the Holidays to come.