Sunday, December 5, 2010

Holiday Hospitality

We hosted a small gathering of friends in our home last night. It was not an elaborate party, but everyone seemed to have a good time. It made me wonder why we don't do that more often. It seems our society in general has moved away from visiting in homes to other types of social gatherings.

Of course, there are other ways to show hospitality. Going out for dinner or coffee come to mind. Those are nice gestures, too, but in these economic times can be prohibitive. Entertaining at home is much less costly-- especially when everyone brings a dish or two to share.

When I was growing up we kids loved to "have company." I remember coming home from school one day to find that Mother had cleaned the house up especially nice. "Who's coming over?" we wanted to know. She laughed and said, "Do we have to have company to clean up the house?" I guess we just knew that was part of the deal.

While I wish I was the type of housekeeper who always kept my house "company clean," I'm not. So, yes, it requires a little effort to get the house in order to have friends over. But it is so rewarding. I love it when friends accept an invitation to "Come on over!"

Don't  you?

2 comments:

pse said...

Yes, I do love having someone
"come over."

Andrea said...

We love having company and I like for our home to be tidy, but I am having to be humbled more about letting people see it as it is...
Blessings,
andrea