Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Inexpensive Centerpieces

 Back in the spring, when I was decorating for the Senior Banquet, I was trying to come up with an inexpensive idea for centerpieces in the class colors of red and silver. I found red roses on clearance after Valentines Day for 99 cents for a bunch (7 flowers). Then I found vases at the dollar store. I pulled the little bits of fake baby's breath off the rose stems, and hot glued streamers of silver curly ribbon on instead. I liked the way it looked, but my next dilemma was what to put in the vase to weight it down and help hold the flowers in place. I considered glass marbles, and found some in silver that looked very nice, but it really added to the expense. Then, my clever sister-in-law suggested salt! I bought it in bulk (for something like $4 for 20 pounds, or some ridiculously cheap price) at Costco... and then I had the idea of mixing in some red and silver glitter. That was perfect! The glitter didn't mix evenly with the salt like I expected. Instead it settled in swirls, which made it even prettier, I thought.

More great tips at Works for Me Wednesday hosted by We are THAT Family.

1 comment: