Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pray One for Another


This morning when I logged onto Facebook I noticed a status update from my longtime friend, Denise:
Such an encouraging way to start the day! 

As I read that I was reminded of a poem that Denise had sent me years ago when we were girlhood pen-pals. I know I saved it in my Quotes Journal. In fact, I think I saved the very sheet of pretty stationery she had copied it onto, in her beautiful handwriting. But do you think I could put my hands on a journal from 30-something years ago this morning? Of course not! (It is here somewhere, though, I'm pretty sure.)

I asked Denise if she remembered it. She didn't, but she was very interested in reading it again. I wracked my brain trying to remember the first line so I could Google it. It has taken me all day to think of it... but I finally have! 

So, Denise, this one's for you!

Pray One for Another 
by Marianne Farningham 

 I cannot tell why there should come to me 
A thought of someone miles and miles away, 
In swift insistence on the memory— 
Unless there be a need that I should pray. 

 Too hurried oft are we to spare a thought, 
For days together, of some friend away; 
Perhaps God does it for us, and we ought 
To read His signal as a call to pray. 

 Perhaps, just then, my friend has fiercer fight, 
Some overwhelming sorrow or decay 
Of courage; darkness, some lost sense of right; 
And so in case he needs my prayer, I pray. 

 Friend, do the same for me! If I unsought 
Intrude upon you on some crowded day, 
Give me a moment’s prayer, in passing thought; 
Be very sure I need it; therefore pray.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you soooo much, Karla! You are such a friend indeed. I do remember it now. You've no idea what this means to me. God just knows when we need each other the most, doesn't He?

Jan said...

Beautiful poem! May I steal it and post it too? You don't have to answer...key word is "steal"...lol
;-)