Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Just call me McGyver!

The North Idaho Fair opens today. I had intended to enter several things in the Open Class category, but I would have had to have them there last week, and I just didn't make it. Mainly because most of the things the girls and I have made over the past year are still in various and sundry boxes who-knows-where! However, I had also pre-registered to enter the table-setting category. They only accept 9 entries and you have to apply about 2 months in advance. So I had applied before we knew we were going to need to move in July. I did manage to get that exhibit together, and went last night to set up. (Good thing I didn't have to have it there last week!)

There are 3 themes for the tablesetting division, and supposed to be 3 tables for each theme. Turns out they only had 6 entries this year... 3 in the "Blue Ribbon Good Times" theme, 2 in the "Home for the Holidays" theme, and 1 in the "Baby's First Birthday" theme. Each theme is judged for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, so I think you're pretty much guaranteed a ribbon for even entering. If you're the only entry in a particular theme, I don't know if you automatically get the blue or what... but as it turns out, mine was the "Blue Ribbon" theme, so I have more competition. I assume they did the judging this morning... but we aren't going to the fair till tomorrow, so I'll have to wait to see how I did.

The girls went with me to set up, and we had to wait around a little bit because there was some tastin' and judgin' going on in the corner of the room where we were to set up. When they were finally finished we started unpacking and setting the table. One of the things I did was make a loop of wide blue ribbon and pin a small sunflower at the center of the loop, to lay across the tops of the plates as "place cards". As I carefully set each ribbon into place it became very apparent that they would not stay in place, because there was a fan behind my table blowing vigorously! That would not do! I had to think fast. No, I didn't have any tape with me. What else? A-ha! I pulled a package of chewing gum out of my purse. "Here, girls! Chew some gum!" And we stuck those ribbons to the plates with wads of chewing gum.

There's an ol' Ed'ards sayin' about that: "Necessity is the mother of invention."

No comments: