Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lesson Plans

It's that time of year again... time to be thinking about what the children should learn for the next year. So, I've been doing the research and gathering my materials and laying out my plan for the year...

First of all, as church youth director, I needed to come up with something fresh and pertinent for the next few months (at least until time to start working on the Christmas program!). I decided that a study on the spiritual parallels in The Chronicles of Narnia might go over well, with the recent popularity of the movie. So I got:

We started that 2 weeks ago and it seems to be going over pretty well so far. A Family Guide lists scriptures for each chapter of all 7 books. I have found that very helpful!

Then, for our homeschool co-op this year I will be teaching a literature class where we'll be reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy, one each trimester. Don't ask me why I had the brilliant idea of trying to teach Tolkien and Lewis both at the same time, because I'm really beginning to think I'm quite nuts! I'll be using the Progeny Press study guides for the literature class.

I have also volunteered to be the coordinator for a new Keepers at Home club we will be starting at co-op. We have about 40 girls enrolled so far, ages 5 on up through teens. And several moms have volunteered to help. I'm excited about this as an incentive for both myself and my daughters to learn homemaking skills that I really do need to take time to teach them!

Naturally, we will again be using Sonlight for our main curriculum at home. It's what we've been using since we first started "formally" homeschooling 9 years ago. (Wow! Has it really been that long already?) We will be finishing up Core 7 (Intro to World History, Part 2), and be ready to start American History In-Depth next year as my oldest goes into high school. I deliberately planned it to take 3 years to cover the 2-year World History course, so that American History could count for high school. We were able to add in more books to the World History course that way, as well.

I'm excited that our co-op will be offering a class in conversational Spanish, since we bought the Rosetta Stone program a couple years ago and haven't really used it much. So I want to work that into our schedule this year.

My oldest will also be using Apologia Physical Science and getting her lab class at co-op. I was happy to discover that they have the textbook available in MP3 format, because she has a visual disability, and I read the honkin' big ol' General Science book to her last year! I really enjoyed it (love Dr. Wile's style), but it was terribly time-consuming on my part. Having the audio book will be a huge help this year.

My brain is whirling! But once I get it all organized in my mind, I'll be good to go. I'm tentively planning to start school the week before Labor Day, even though we'll be in Texas staying with my sister at that time. Life goes on... and the beauty of homeschool is that you can just work around it.

No comments: