Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lum and Abner comic strip

Way back in the dark ages--clear back in 1970, probably--I remember my uncles attentively listening to radio show called Lum and Abner. I was too young to pay much attention to it at that time. I had no idea that they were actually listening to re-runs from 30 or so years earlier. Several years later I happened across the show and became a fan myself. I think I was about 14 at the time. My opportunity to listen to the show was pretty hit-or-miss until the advent of the internet, which is kind of ironic when you think about it--an old-time radio show from the 1930s and '40s finally becoming widely accessible due to modern technology. A few years ago I even put together a web page as a tribute to the "old fellers." If you're not familiar with these characters, let me direct you there for more information. If you enjoy "down-home" humor, I expect you'll like it.

Earlier this week I was excited to learn that Donnie Pitchford, the president of the National Lum and Abner Society, has produced a comic strip based on the radio show that he hopes to run as a regular feature in the First Arkansas News. He is currently in the "looking for sponsors" stage. I hope he makes it. I was very impressed with the first comic strip and would love to see more. What fun!

4 comments:

Donnie Pitchford said...

Karla, thank you so much for blogging about the proposed "Lum and Abner" comic strip! I truly am thankful and blessed by the wonderful comments I've been reading. It's true, this is a commercial enterprise, and it must be sponsored by advertisers for it to continue. I'm praying that support will come, and that I can do a good job in providing clean entertainment!

Ethan C. Nobles said...

Karla - Thank you for the kind words. I was amazed when Donnie sent in the character models, was even more impressed when he sent in the first strip and -- let me tell you -- the following three were even better. He's hitting his stride and this little project excites me.

I -- like you -- ran across Lum and Abner in the 1970s. I listened to it every day after school with my dad as that's when a radio station out of Hot Springs played reruns. I've loved the show since then and the opportunity to help introduce these characters to longtime fans and newcomers through a somewhat unique medium is something well worth pursuing.

I hope we do get some sponsors lined up. I can't help but think this is a project that will attract attention, so here's hoping everything works out well.

Ethan C. Nobles, First Arkansas News

Donnie Pitchford said...

Update! "Lum and Abner" now runs at this website:
http://www.lumandabnersociety.org/Comic-Strip-Home.html
We are in the fourth year, and in July 2014, Lum and Abner had a cameo in the award-winning "Dick Tracy" comic strip! Thanks!

Donnie Pitchford said...

I invite everyone to read "Lum and Abner", and our audio version is great for our blind friends. Thanks!