Monday, August 1, 2011

Lilies of the field...

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 
--Matthew 6:28-29

How many of these friendly faces of summer do you know? I had to look up some in my wildflower book... and some I couldn't find in the book. Maybe you can help me out with the ones I don't know by name. (Also, if I've misidentified any, please do let me know! I don't like to perpetrate wrong information, you know.)
Bluebell
Giant Red Paintbrush
Nootka Rose
I'm not sure what this pretty white flower is. When I took the picture I thought it was a trillium, but when I got home and compared the picture to the book, I don't think that's what it is.
Orange Agoseris
Sticky Cinquefoil
Can you believe this guy wasn't in my book? Or at least, if he was, I couldn't find him. I'm pretty sure he's a Thistle, though. What do you think?
Twinflower
Yarrow

I couldn't find these last three in my book. Anybody know what they are called?
What wildflowers have you enjoyed this summer?

2 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Those are beautiful! I don't even know the names of wild flowers to contribute, but I love any flower!

Have a blessed evening!
Beth

Http://mydestinysharinghope.com/

Jan said...

I love this post, Karla!! And I love your photos! The paint brush, we used to call Indian Paint Brush.... I suppose that name is no longer "politically correct"...but I'm sure they saw it first, anyway! :-) The thistle is officially called a Canadian Thistle, I believe. I'll bet you will find him in a "weed" book. ;-)
And the 2nd one from the bottom I think might be a Larkspur, if my memory serves me correctly...but I am not certain...
anyway, fun, fun identifying and learning!