Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Not in the Market

What with Laura being gone for most of the summer and Becky missing her big sister, we have used up our allotted cell phone minutes for the month. So when my phone rang this afternoon I checked Caller I.D. to see who was calling. It wasn't anyone on my contact list but it was a local number. I decided to let it go to voice mail, thinking whoever-it-was would leave a message and I could call them back. A few minutes later I got an email from my friend, Anna, asking about a book. I replied and asked her if she had just tried calling me, explaining why I didn't take the call.

"Yes, that was me," she said. "Next time I'll leave a message." I entered her number on my contact list so I would know it was her.

Half an hour or so later the phone rang again. It was a local number again, but not Anna's. Maybe she's calling from a different phone this time, I thought. Well, she said she'd leave a message, so I'll wait and see.

Sure enough, in a few minutes the voice mail alert tinkled at me. I dialed in to listen, fulling expecting it to be Anna. Instead, it was a man's voice.

"Um. Hello. I think I got the wrong number. I'm calling Bill Barry, but I got Karla. God bless you. Have a nice life. This is Joe."

Please tell me. If you dialed the wrong number, would you leave a message? Why wouldn't you just hang up before the beep?

I betcha Joe is my secret admirer. He called back a little later, but didn't leave a message the second time. I guess he was just devastated that I didn't answer or return his call. I've been noticing ads on my Pandora account assuring me there are nice single men in my area (in the 50+ age range!) who want to meet me. The stock photos of models in the ads would lead one to believe that all these handsome men live right in my neighborhood! One of them is Joe, probably.

I guess Joe (and Pandora) didn't get the memo that I am blissfully married. I'm perfectly happy with the real man who faithfully brings home the bacon and adores me. (Not to mention that he's still in the under 50 age range!)

Sorry, Joe.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Now, that's funny! Especially the under 50 part! ;-)

pse said...

You are so funny. Thanks for writing an interesting view point.